I Forge Iron

For Those Who Metal Detect

Mark Ling

Oh and Das, how did the grinding you did on them blend in? I remember that to get a good ground you ground a part of them down shiny and attached the clamp, is that area noticeable that it was ground?

Littleblacksmith 

On the first piece I just ground till I saw metal then clamped on it. So just barely got to the steel and I can't see where that was on the final piece. I have since just been using copper wire to wrap/hook pieces and it seems to be working. Rusty and all tho I have broken off some/ most crust. 

Here are 3 rr spikes I wrapped in copper wire together in one batch and wire wheeled tonight. Around  a day in the tank. No grinding just wrapped the copper wire around the 3 in one bundle.  I was experimenting and it worked. I'm using solid copper house wiring ( don't know what gauge). 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I did break off most of the crust. I have others in the tank now just with the wire touching the thicker rust. 

I will have to bust out the camera and take pics of my finds as well. Been detecting about as long as LBS here, although i dont have nearly as pretty of cases. I've mainly just stuffed things in jars. So it's not uncommon to see a 1990s matchbox car sitting with an 1800s square nail. I am also lucky enough to be able to detect my family's 1850's Illinois homestead, to which i have the only permission. Last year I pulled 6 spikes out from an area i think a barn once stood in that i believe are wrought. about 6" long 1" sq stakes with a 2-3" long taper. Could be some really cool material for a gift for my grandparents. 

In general in my area i'm lucky to find wheat cents or indian heads. most parks were dug out by a few prominent detectorists in the 80s-90s. ive met them and they have JARS full of silver like it's no big deal... 

at Das, i also have an AT pro, quite the machine huh?

Charcold, I really like it. I did a lot of research before purchasing a machine. When I was a lil kid my dad bought my middle brother a cheap little RadioShack machine. Don't recall ever finding much of anything with it haha. Later my dad bought a machine ( forget what) but it found me some bullet casings and beer caps at the beach. I've always loved finding things ( in fact I can't even relax at the beach cause I just want to find cool seashells) so I decided to buy my own metal detector. And with the price of them it was worth the research. The pinpointer makes the hunt Way easier. Can't say I've found much that's great but I'm sure I'm happier finding old rusty wrought iron or steel then most metal detectors . 

• 1 month later...

I just got a used Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2; it arrived in the mail yesterday. I did a quick test at a local beach and found some aluminum can scrap, verified it worked. Later at home, i checked out the driveway and found a bunch of nails, pennies, and other assorted junk. Lots of iron in the rocks here, will be great when i set up a smelter. I might hit the beach this morning for a while....

I get a lot of " hot rocks" probably mostly old slag around the monongahela river area.

Man would I love to hit some beaches with my detector. We were supposed to take a family trip to the outer banks last summer but it fell through so I havnt got to try mine out in the sand yet. 

Have fun and let us know if you find anything interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 2:32 PM, Daswulf said:

I get a lot of " hot rocks" probably mostly old slag around the monongahela river area.

Man would I love to hit some beaches with my detector. We were supposed to take a family trip to the outer banks last summer but it fell through so I havnt got to try mine out in the sand yet. 

Have fun and let us know if you find anything interesting. 

If you do head to the beach I suggest first doing this:

Go to your local Fleet Farm or whatever farm supplier is near you, buy one of their 3-5$ plastic grain scoops. One of the ones that are entirely boxed in, not the bottom and sides with the top open. 

Take it home and drill in 1/2" holes until she looks like swiss cheese!

Now you can actually sift beach finds, digging for them can be a REAL pain. You might still lose earings and other small items but that scoop will even get dimes. and you can grab a big scoop and swing it over the detector to figure out when u have it. 

I'd say be prepared for a lot of pop tops and bottle caps but if you're a metal detector you already know that! 

Also if you plan on taking that garret AT pro into water look up some waterproofing guides. They claim waterproof out of the box but some people notice worse performance if they dont grease up some of the connections ive  read

Thanks for the tips. I'll be on the lookout for a grain scoop to modify. 

So far I have only had my coil fully submerged but the box has been through some heavy rain. Never hurts to double check and lube the gaskets and add some dielectric grease to the connectors. 

Oh, I would say that bottle caps and pop tops are my most found objects. But the thing that really drives me nuts is foil. That stuff gets me every time. 

I recently picked up a tough plastic hand trowel at the restore that I'm excited to try out as soon as the nasty cold and snowy weather lets up. That will work a lot easier with my pinpointer atleast in not so tough soil.

hahha my name on a metal detecting forum is "Foiled" as a play on that very fact. Get's me every time....

I've always leaned towards a serrated trowel personally, lets you cut a perfect "plug" which can make finding items a lot easier. I tried hard plastic and snapped them off every darn time...

I've also had my AT Pro coil in water but never been brave enough to fully submerse, also cant really find any places near me that have deep water i'm interested in digging. 

I always tell myself " ah... Foiled again.." When I dig up foil. 

I got the Garrett trowel with the package deal I bought and really like it. This plastic trowel is just to try out and see.( it practically cost about nothing)  I gave it a good bend around test by hand and it does seem really strong but the dirt and time will tell. 

I honestly don't plan on doing much in deeper water but also didn't want a detector I had  worry about going in streams with. Like if I lay it down in shallow water to dig. Also it's nice to be able to give it a bath after digging a lot. I have washed it off with no problems. 

• 2 weeks later...