I Forge Iron

Forced air burner - bad ???

blacksmith-450

All blown forge supplies that I have seen have the Propane inlet upstream from the blower.  Remember that Propane is lighter than air so if the Propane inlet is above the blower the Propane will fall down into the lowest level.  Think of water.  Pour it and it will fall to the floor and run to the lowest level (run across the flower to the lowest level).  ALWAYS  turn on the blower before the Propane no matter how it is plumbed.

Let me know if I can help you.  You can find my e-mail addy on my profile.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well it looks like the usual deal; his dog (burner design) may be loaded with fleas, but to him, It looks "just wonderful."  I have seen this over and over again. I don't think these guys are deliberately lying; its just easy to be self-deluded when you don't have a clue about the subject to begin with. So, what do I see? A heavily reducing primary flame, and the beginning of a large secondary flame.

Honestly, I did this in less than 15 minutes....  The shopping of the parts took longer ! The flame is usable but far from being as neutral as what I was able to get out of my NAB burner. I wanted to compare the methods of frabrication. In the end, I find that is very big as burner, it requires electricity and it is expensive. With a head to make a ribbon,... we'll see if that deserved the work.

I can also add, that when put together properly, this burner makes a very short flame for its size. What has always stopped my interest in it is the internal strainer needed in its flame nozzle; I figure that to be a very short-term part. If someone came up with a more acceptable alternative, this could be a good burner.