I Forge Iron

My 4 year old son

Michael Cochran

My son hasn't been feeling well lately. Truth is every since he started K4 he keeps getting sick. A couple weeks ago my wife took him to the dr and they told her he had asmatic bronchitis. We've been giving him his medicine and he seemed to be getting better until early this morning. He got hot and threw up this morning twice but seemed to be feeling better after that for a little bit. He started complaining about being hot so my wife checked his temp, 102F. She snatched him up and took him to the local urgent care to get looked at. After almost 2 hours they finally see him and immediately call for an emergency transport to Children's Hospital. The urgent care said his heart rate was really high and felt he'd be better treated at Children's. So now I'm waiting on news of what's going on. I'm sure all the parents out there can imagine how we feel right now. At this point I don't even know what to say so I'm gonna go. I'll post updates as they come. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's on our list Michael as are you and Mom. Keep YOUR overnight bag packed Brother and skip the doc in a box next time. I'm not dissing "Urgent cares" but there are some things you just don't want to take a chance on. 

Be well Brother we're pulling for you.

Frosty

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

He's on our list Michael as are you and Mom. Keep YOUR overnight bag packed Brother and skip the doc in a box next time. I'm not dissing "Urgent cares" but there are some things you just don't want to take a chance on. 

Be well Brother we're pulling for you.

Frosty

We had no idea it would be that bad. Next time something like that comes up we probably will do just as you suggest and skip straight to the ER. We just knew when with a fever of 102F we needed immediate attention. His fever got worse before he got to Children's (104 iirc) and doesn't even remember the ambulance ride which took longer than I could've made the drive (and I've been told I drive like an 'old man' by a couple people).

He had a rough night last night with another spiking fever but seems to be feeling better today. Hopefully the fevers are gone. I remember the one time I had pneumonia, I was 20 at the time and I was very miserable so I can only imagine how he feels. 

Thank you all again for the well wishes and prayers. We will get through this, it will take longer than any of us want but in the end it will be ok and he will get better. 

I spoke too soon actually. Not being there and seeing the symptoms makes my advice questionable at best. I just tend to be over cautions with children; recently diagnosed asmatic bronchitis and a sudden fever spike just makes me want to draw the biggest guns available. 

I'm not a parent though so my advice is based on a lack of experience. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Had walking pneumonia as a teen, fever at night and no fever during the day. Would start coughing at lunch an ne'er pass out. Ended up driving my self to the CIGNA clinic. Payed my own copay. Ah, the "good old days". I can only imagine how your little one feels. 

Parenting is on the job training. Like blacksmithing you learn to correct on the fly and re designe anything that goes pear shaped. You got this. 

Thank for the vote of confidence there Charles. I've definitely figured out parenting isn't something you can learn from others. I've had friends with children for years before my wife and I met and thought I learned a thing or two about being a parent. Boy was I wrong. As mine gets older I see more that each child is vastly different than any other and they all respond differently to the same treatment. 

It’s good to hear you are getting a handle on it.  I give all due credit and respect to your son for working through that level of sickness as long as he did.  When I was a kid I got “croup” twice a year every year like it was my job.  Two weeks of strep throat, a 104 fever, brutal coughing to the point of bruising ribs (and moving the couch I was on around the living room), and sudden loss of breathing due to constricted bronchial tubes.  It was brutal for me.  It took me years to realize how tough it was on my parents!

....and don’t you just love it when you talk about having children and someone joins in with an “I know what you mean” story about their dog?

Hah I see where you are coming from Michael. I see so many others I know with kids and hear their stories, they sure are all different. And having a yet to be born child I have absolutely no idea what to expect let alone gender at this point but I continually think of scenarios from My childhood and think of how I'd react or treat it. Yet I know Nothing because the world changes so fast I will have to do as Charles said and treat it like blacksmithing and react on the fly. All we can do is the best we can. Worry as we must and hope for the best. Continued prayers for you and yours.