I Forge Iron

Neat old forged hammer

MilwaukeeJon

Creasing of the pein end is commonly called fish mouthing. To avoid this when drawing a tapper, point the stock first then forge the taper back from the end. Buy pointing the stock, you have pushed the corners into the metal, now as you forge the taper and it forces material tord the end the corners do not grow and fold over the end.

if you start with a shorter, but wider piece of stock you would fist fuller the large side, then split the backside sort of the fuller. Now when you fold the handle down the fuller makes a smooth transition. At this point you now forge the head down to eliminate the bulge ahead of the fuller (she note about  fish mouthing) now forge the smaller face of the hammer and draw out the stub for the handle. Forge weld a longer handle to the stub and precede. 

The first picture shows you how to forge a fish mouth, the arrows indicate your hammer blow, the second shows how to forge a taper with out a fish mouth. (Yes I am away of the phalic nature of third illistratiin in the sequence) and the last shows how I would go about forging your tool.

The advantage forges have over other fabrication methods is waste. Your method generates waste mine dose not, if one insists on drawing out the handle (inefficient use of time) then extend your blank and cut around your small face to form a blob of stock. Be carful to address the cold shunt, alternatively use wider stock, forge the head on the end and forge down the remainder for the handle.

the use of fullers to block out your black is a time homored and effecent way to forge. Often an experiance smith may use the curves of side edge of his anvil and a wide faced hammer to fuller a blank as aposed to using a separate fuller. But a separate fuller (round bar bent into a Z laying on the anvil face) provides a clean consistent method of doing so.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This layout makes a lot of sense. Inefficient if you do a long handle (like I did) but very helpful way to think about the movement of metal in the head. Fun experiment. Thanks. 

image.jpg

Also, by “creasing of the peen end” I didn’t mean fish mouthing on the tip. I’m already a master of that! Rather it was a reference to the spot where the handle gets bent 90 degrees down. Your pics are a big help.