I Forge Iron

Forge build help

AngleDangle

The propane tank I procured (read found in my creek after massive torrential floodings last year) is not the standard 20#. It is definitely longer and the rough measurements are 12" diameter x 19" length. I say rough because I forgot my soft tape measure  and only have a yard stick in the shop at the moment. So what should I do with this thing as far as openings and blanket go? I find tons of 2" via 1" blanket threads but that would leave me with an 8" opening. That seems a bit big to me. I can't seem to find much on 3" of blanket. It that an issue good or bad? That would give me a 6" opening and I figured a 4" x4" in the back. If that is a good option do I use three 1" wraps or a 2" thick base with 1" interior for replacement needs. Was planning to weld on a shelf at both ends for fire brick doors and long projects. Thanks in advance.

Just because you found that tank doesn't mean you have to use it. Even at 8" dia. x 15" (19"- 4" end liner=15")  would be an awfully long chamber. You can only forge about 6" at a time and heating steel without forging it tends to cause crystallization (grain growth) and unnecessary decarbonization. both BAD things.

Decide what you want to make in general, you'll discover something else in a while so don't worry about it. We all have old forges gathering dust. You're needs and preferences will change as you gain skills and proficiency. Do NOT try to make THE forge now you WILL change your mind, needs, etc.

Just don't get in a hurry, rushing only makes your mistakes permanent faster. ;)  Check out Forges 101 and Burners 101 threads for current discussions about: burners, forge construction, materials, hows and whys of current thinking. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Read the Build a Gas Forge on the Forge Supplies page of my web-site.  You can get the web-site and other contact information on my Profiles page.

That is a 30# tank.  A 20# would be a better size for the reasons that Frosty mentioned.

You could even go with a Freon tank for an even smaller forge.

Two inch blanket is hard to form around in small spaces.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne

The tank is busted up a bit from being in the creek. Not going to fill it. As for the size can't I just run the front burner with some fire bricks wedged in the forge to create a temporarily smaller space when needed? Worst case if the length is that big a deal I can easily drop three inches on each end reducing the total length to 13" inside. Buying a new 20lb tank to butcher is not going to happen. I would just assume get some sheets and refractory and weld up a box.

Wayne, been to your site and will be contacting you for supplies shortly. Just trying to figure out how much wool I need. Thanks.

You should be able to come up with a 20# tank for free.  The old valves can not be refilled and they are hard to dispose of.  Just look around a little, go to a place that refills tanks and see if they don't have one that you can have for free, or go to an auto repair shop that does AC work and get a Freon tank, or go to the local HVAC shop and ask for one.  If you drive your pick up be careful that they don't fill the bed up.  They are hard to dispose of.  They are probably just waiting for someone like you to come in and ask.

My forge is a 30# tank with a 10" ribbon burner.  It is not what I recommend but I was given a burner and it was to big for a 20# tank.

Again, let me know if I can help you.

See my profile for contact info.

Wayne

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

I was able to get He tanks for free at party stores, they come in several sizes and are disposable.

I happen to have one of these.

<Commercial link removed>

Is that too small at 9.75" diameter? I Santo get a forge up asap so I can get at the fun stuff.

You could just cut the end off to the same length a 20# would be and have at it. If you really wanted the rounded end of the 20# tank (don't see why you would - easier to fit sliding end brick doors to a flat end), you could cut a section out of the middle and weld/attach the two ends back together to the length of the 20#er.