I Forge Iron

Tire Hammer Workshop w/ Clay Spencer - Troy, OH April 19-22 2018

I've been working with the great folks at SOFA to try and coordinate a tire-hammer workshop, led by Clay Spencer. It is tenatively planned to occur mid-April of next year. The cost would be approx. $1500 and several days of work to leave with a finished tire hammer/power hammer. A 50% deposit would be due in advance. This would be held at the SOFA facility in Troy, OH (where Quadstate is held). Details are still being worked out and are thus subject to change, but we are trying to gauge interest. If you would be interested in attending, and would have the financial means to do so, send me a PM with your name and email address and we will keep you in the loop. Details will be available soon on the SOFA website (www.sofablacksmiths.org). Please note that some sessions of prep work are required prior to the workshop itself, so if you live too far away to attend those sessions, please let me know so we can discuss alternative arrangements.

If interested, please let me know by November 30, 2017. You may still be able to join us beyond that date, but we'd like to have a reasonable head count by then to ensure we have enough people to move forward with the planning.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s the latest info. Contact myself or Mike Brennan (see below) for more details. 

Ray Clontz Tire Hammer Workshop (50 lb)

Dates: April 19-22, 2018

40 plus hours over 4 days

Estimated Cost: $1500 ...Pricing is by no means complete at this point

Requirements: Current SOFA  membership (apply on SOFA website:  https://sofablacksmiths.org/)

Prior work: 2-4 subassembly sessions will be held at the SOFA building on weekends prior to the workshop. All participants must attend these sessions or fabricate the pieces at their homes or pay a $100 fee per missed pre-assembly session.

Review: Review attachments from Clay Spencer (available on request) to better understand the depth of the tire hammer build.

Motels and Camping: I-75 and St. Rte. 41 is the closest major intersection for motels, restaurants and retail stores.  

Camping is available on the Miami County Fairgrounds.

Necessary for Build: As you can see on the attachment from Clay Spencer, this is a labor intensive project involving lifting and carrying up to 50lbs. as well as long days on your feet. At a minimum, experience working with metal and mechanical ability are required. It will be necessary that within the group some participants be certified or experienced welders, machinists, and/or fabricators. Please let Mike Brennan (see below) know which of these skills you possess. 

Those Interested: Respond to Mike Brennan, Workshop Coordinator at    m.mbre574@gmail.com

Send no down payment at this time. I am gathering a list of those who are interested until November 30.

• 11 months later...

We didn’t end up with enough folks signed up, so we had to scrap it. I don’t have a large enough facility myself, so I was coordinating with folks at SOFA. I’m actually attending another tirehammer build, so I probably won’t be pushing to set up another, but if you don’t have a large enough shop yourself you could always contact the workshop coordinator there in Troy and see what they think about trying again. Send me a message if you’d like his contact info.