I Forge Iron

Are Rotors ok to use in a forge

Johnnyweasel

First my question: Based on the metal used to make car rotors with is it ok to use a car rotor as the base of my forge? I read a lot about galvanized metal being toxic and I do not know even what rotors are made from. Carbon, steel..??? 

Synopsis: I have a large brake drum that has about a 10” radius on the inside. To fill that gap I have an old rotor I was thinking of placing inside the drum. Then connecting my flange and some piping. 

Yes, rotors have been used for fire pots on many home built forges. A 10 inch forge will limit you on what you can heat in it though, you might want to look at the 55 forge thread.

BTW: Welcome to IFI, if you will put your location in your profile you may be surprised how many of the gang are near you and a lot of answers are location dependent.

Brake rotors and drums are cast steel. No galvanizing. 

Stand alone brake drum forges do look like a pita  I mounted my brake rotor ( 8"inner dia. 2-3" deep) in a metal table and it has served me well.

as Charles mentions tho, you can also look up " just a box of dirt" side blast forges. They look simple and easy and you can work with the size and shape of the fire pot to suit. 

Thanks for the informative information. 

We are using a 12” Rotor and a brake drum from a dump truck which is about 16” radius with an inner radius of 10” so the rotor will set inside very nicely. We have a perfect stand that can handle the weight and get it off the ground about 3’. Just ordered a 4kg Silicon Graphite crucible, Tongs and putting it all together this week. I’ll be sure to post some picks when we’re complete.

from Wikipedia: under Disk Brakes: "The rotor is usually made of cast iron, but may in some cases be made of composites such as reinforced carbon–carbon or ceramic matrix composites. " Under Drum Brakes: "he brake drum is generally made of a special type of cast iron that is heat-conductive and wear-resistant."

Meehanite cast iron has been used extensively for brake components.