I Forge Iron

Tiger the cattle dog

18 hours ago, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard Cathy, glad to have you. I can't wait to see your work as time passes, for first pieces they have more skill and vision than most pros. The armature (sub frame) is important, with a little practice you'll start using them to give life and motion to the critters.

Oh go ahead and laugh, Thomas wouldn't have told the story if he didn't expect us to laugh. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Afternoon Frosty, thank you for the lovely welcome. I am getting more drawn to metal with each day.. Now I see bits of old metal and say, that would make a perfect nose etc.. I found the sub-frame the most frustrating and difficult. I found it hard to think of the dimensions and converting ratio's.. But with each one as you said, I am hoping to get better and find it easier to construct and visualise.  Yes, life and motion are important and extremely hard to portray... I wish I was an artist that had a better visual understanding.. I will get there in the end I hope.

I have imagined Thomas caught in the fence a few times since he said it... and gets me laughing each time.. If it had been night the light display would have been spectacular....

Cathy

16 hours ago, ThomasD said:

Cathy,

I really like your sculpture. Tiger reminds me of one of my dogs, Ada. She is half kelpie and half blue heeler, her ears are the shape of a kelpie but she is stocky and strong like a heeler. You can really see that Tiger is a heeler in this sculpture. And I think what you've really managed to capture is the expression of a sheep dog, the way they wait in anticipation, you can see the intelligence in their eyes.

Well done. 

Tom. 

Thanks ThomasD, appreciate your comments.. Glad you can see the healer in him.. He was an extremely good dog, worked well on the farm and was a great companion.. I was told the eyes are the window,, and I agree. I did his eyes several times before i got what I wanted.. He had a steely look..

5 hours ago, ausfire said:

Cathy, I see you mentioned the Spirit of the Land Festival at Lockhart, NSW. I have never been there so I googled it to know more about it. No wonder you took some inspiration from the scrap art there. That is really the high end of the scrap art market! I'll add the link here in case others may like to see what we aspire to.

I'll just have to get there one day! Love that rhino with the wrens on his back. Brilliant.

http://www.spiritofthelandlockhart.com.au/

Hello Ausfire, it is an amazing festival.. Each time you look you see a different technique, method and all made with love.. It is certainly worth the while going. We camp at the reserve or the football oval for the weekend. Yes the rhino and wrens were very good.. The website did not show many of the examples.. I will post a few others up later that were amazing.  IT is a nice weekend off the farm, and seeing things i can only aspire to.

Cathy

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Frosty, and I mean this in the kindest way, go be the third type of person in the three ways people learn...(read, see and learn about things the hard way)

Kindest intention is understood. I work on the farm and you either read, see or learn things the hard way here. I have been taught there is no excuse to try and do something. Each time you learn you can and get more skills. I would be called a JillAroo... I can turn my hand to nearly anything if I try or need to.. LIFE ON A FARM1!! just perfect

I know I'd appreciate any pictures you'd care to share. I know the feeling of Turing my hand to anything I try. In my case " jack of all trades, master of none." Tho there are a few I try harder at. And some new ones yet to try. We love pictures by the way :) if you hadn't noticed. 

6 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

I know I'd appreciate any pictures you'd care to share. I know the feeling of Turing my hand to anything I try. In my case " jack of all trades, master of none." Tho there are a few I try harder at. And some new ones yet to try. We love pictures by the way :) if you hadn't noticed. 

Just put up a new post of the Spirit of the Land Festival Daswulf, you will enjoy them. Just a few, more if people want to see others. Yes, Jack of All Trades, Master of none is a good saying here as well. Yes, there is always something else to learn.. I seem to be learning everyday... which is a good thing.. Now to have a day off!!!