I Forge Iron

A&H 175# in Brazil

GilBr

Could somebody help me to solve this mystery?

Recently I bought an A&H anvil serial number 224975 - 175# but for my surprise I  found out there are no more than 51000 manufactured by A&H,

The stamp in my anvil clearly it is the correct brand mark,  so why the serial number it is so high? Is it possible it is a false one?

20171007_125351.thumb.jpg.78174aeeaebb30fd7a291760bff98465.jpg20171001_161439.thumb.jpg.bcb3b44107347bba34272c01dca969de.jpg20171007_125403.thumb.jpg.4b6304d03c3097e18b75906be36a53ae.jpg

Do you have more pictures of the complete anvil?

My guess is that you have a Trenton anvil that was repaired by A&H, and restamped.  Sometimes you see an extra number in serials now and then, but that logo style was quite late in A&H production. An extra number still wouldn't be correct for the logo stamp style.

Thanks guys it is really a good start to help find out such weird mystery.

Well I am sending more pictures, as you can see dspite the bruises on the surface it is in good condition and the hardness of steel plate seem to be preserved.

Another curious fact is, if there are so few A&H pieces, how (and why) does this one come from USA to Brazil? I am affraid we never will know...

Anyway here is the pictures...

20171001_160908.thumb.jpg.d799a837ff8090050e704fa37836fa4c.jpg20171007_125528.thumb.jpg.7211c041e64e02b37b38a7f22d5b04ad.jpg20171007_125438.thumb.jpg.e100a3ce5dd3fe42cadad1518e0f1ec8.jpg

Definitely looks like a late Trenton base.  Extremely late Trenton serial number, at the very end of production.  Can you take a picture of the side area logo, similar to the first one you posted of the A&H logo stamp, but a bit further away to show the 3 inches around that logo?  I'm wondering if there are some remnants of the Trenton stamp still there.

Hi Gil, Black Frog is right definitely a Trenton anvil interesting find. Here are my thoughts: About that time, early 1950's Arm & Hammer brand quit production of anvils and a year or two later closed their forging business completely. CFI, who made the Trenton brand, continued anvil production for a few more years. I would speculate that Columbus Anvil and Forge purchased some anvils from their cross town competitor to fulfil the last of an anvil contract of their Arm & Hammer brand. I believe that Mr Postman the author of Anvils in America now owns all the records from CFI an inquiry to him may shed some light. One way or another, you have a nice high quality anvil. Those late Trentons are two piece, the entire top half are tool steel with no face plate. I am now retired, but where I formerly worked we had an identical Trenton about 140 lbs. Tough anvil, the boys in the heavy equipment shop used to pound cold steel heavy equipment parts on it all the time, made me cringe but they never damaged it.

Hi Direwolf I am impressed to find out so, interesting history.. I just looking for a tool to start my workshop and got a piece of  American history here in Brazil.

I hope I can keep getting more information about my anvil, I would like to contact Mr Postman  to add any other revelations. 

Next week I will be in MI USA and I will buy the AIA book for sure.

One last doubt , is it plausible I try to repair the injured surface by welding process? I would like to improve its appearance.... 

My 91# A&H has more hot iron hours on it than my huge Fisher as it goes to day long demos and classes where I get to hammer hot metal on it rather than sitting in my shop where I don't get much time in lately.  In the shop it sits next to the Fisher as there are certain jobs where the very thin heel on the A&H is very handy compared to the 6"? thick heel on the Fisher.