I Forge Iron

Books?

GandalftheGold

I have looked through the forums and have seen many many recommendations for books to read on the subject of general blacksmithing.  I saw a lot of suggestions and it was really hard for me to try to narrow it down to just a couple. I also did a little bit of research outside of this forum.  I think I settled on these three books, The art of Blacksmithing by Alex W Bealer, the Back Yard Blacksmith by Lorielei Sims, and The Complete Modern Blacksmith by Alexander Weygers.  I was also contemplating Blacksmithing Primer: A Course in Basic and Intermediate Blacksmithing by Randy McDaniel, but I wasnt too sure on that one, it seems like the other books would cover the info in it but it seems like a really nice book, haven't made up my mind on that one.  If anyone has any to add or some to remove due to redundancy I would love the suggestions, otherwise these are the three I will probably get for the time being.  From what I saw in the descriptions they all seem to talk about the same general stuff, but focus on very different areas.  Any help would be appreciated.  If that knife making book is still for sail on here I will probably get that a little down the road when I have built up a little more experience. 

G.T.G.,

The Backyard Blacksmith book is currently being remaindered. (I bought one for $9.00). It's excellent. Weyger's book is superb. Mr. Bealer's book is less of a how to book.Mc Daniel's book is excellent.

But check out the on-line F.A.O. 3 books, and the C.O.S.I.R.A. series (there are about nine of them), are very good.

Try,

http://www.bamsite.org/books/books.html (that is the blacksmiths of Missouri group).

for a whole slew of books, including the latter series mentioned above.

Those books are copyright free. (public domain ).

SLAG.

I would personally replace McDaniels book with Whane Goddard's "$50 Knife Shop". Lorielei's book will cover most everything important that is in "Blackmith Primer", and "$50 Knife Shop puts a different spin on knifemaking and blacksmithing that will really help diversify your knowlege as you are getting started. However, all of these books are exelent, so get them all, if you can afford them! Peter Parkinson's "Artist Bkacksmith" is a really good one for down the road.

I was able to ILL a book that had been on Amazon book search for *YEARS* from my local rural New Mexico library.  Yet I find most people don't know about ILL (Inter Library Loan) and just tell me that their library doesn't have the books I mention. (Even when I mention doing ILL!)

My library only has two or three that it ILLs with, it is probably more but most of the libraries around here have pretty identical selections, so I am not sure how many they will have.  I think it may be that ILL is a bit hard to place as an acronym, it took me a few minutes to figure out what you meant by that. I did a catalog search and found some but most are from other libraries and a little surprisingly a lot were checked out already.  Ill swing by after work to figuratively and literally  check them out.

Books are usually subject specific. A general information book is just that, a general overview of the subject from which you then move to another book for more specific information and move again for specific detailed information. 

Introduction to Knifemaking, and Book Reviews section which has 1224 posts would be good reading.

A beautiful and most  informative book is, "Werk und werkzeug des Kunstschmieds" by Otto Schmirler. It shows and depicts how-tos from the Schmirler shop in Vienna, Austria. Each page of text is in German, English, and French! It is likely out of print, but may be available through bookfinders.com. Title translates as, "Work and tools of the Artsmith." Well illustrated.

That sounds sick.  The issue I have with forums is I find really good information, then I forget to bookmark the page and I can never find it again.  I also just like books.    The library did have the art of blacksmithing, which I see what you were talking about, but it is still quite interesting.  I was also able to request something called practical blacksmithing and metal working, which seemed useful.  I did purchase a copy of the back yard blacksmith because I have never seen a hardcover book sell for less than the paperback version. I always need more hardcovers on my shelf.

Last time I used ILL; our small rural NM library was in a network with over 90 other libraries including a couple of university ones.  I was able to ILL a copy of "The Metallography of Early Ferrous Edge Tools and Edged Weapons" (yes the Librarians raised their eyebrows).  Of course we have a new librarian who thought it was a good idea to mix all the SF books into general fiction so you can't scan a limited number of shelves to see if something new grabs your attention; grrrr.  They explained that most people like it better that way---I'd like to see the data on that!

Mr. F. Turley, Sir,

I just tried WWW.bookfinders.com and got a message from Godaddy that the web name is for sale.

Just thought I'd give the gang a heads up.

I will try ABE books shortly,

Regards and thanks,

SLAG.

12 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Last time I used ILL; our small rural NM library was in a network with over 90 other libraries including a couple of university ones.  I was able to ILL a copy of "The Metallography of Early Ferrous Edge Tools and Edged Weapons" (yes the Librarians raised their eyebrows).  Of course we have a new librarian who thought it was a good idea to mix all the SF books into general fiction so you can't scan a limited number of shelves to see if something new grabs your attention; grrrr.  They explained that most people like it better that way---I'd like to see the data on that!

I had my libraries mixed up.  My college library was the one that was only connected to two or three, it was an inter college library service.  The colleges had pretty much everything the towns had so most sharing was between the three schools.  I asked and the town library is connected to scores of other libraries including a few schools. 

Good info I find, I print or copy and paste to a file off web as most times like has been said forgot to bookmark it or it's off web when I look for it again. Web is great but save info you like or it will get eaten by the web while you are away.

So I have to say I like the art of blacksmithing so far, I have learned a bunch of tips and techniques I never would have thought of. 

But I had a question.  I have been looking through this book review forum looking for references just on steel types and working methods.  There seem to be, from my beginner perspective, an infinite type of steels all with their own specific way of forming and treating each with their own specific uses.  Like I said I have looked through here but probably not hard enough, Ill keep stumbling around till I find something.  I am really looking for a kind of a list of steel types with suggesting treating methods, working methods, and suggested uses for each steel.  I don't know if this exists, hence my asking, but that is sort of what I am looking for.  With my lack of experience it is rather confusing for me to see all of these steel types being thrown around with me having very little clue as to what it actually means or what to do once I know the name of the steel.

As a sort of example, I have access to a welding book that goes along the lines of, if you have an X thick piece of Y type  steel butt joined with X thick piece of V steel use setting Z at intensity A for B amount of time.  It is a genius book I have access to through a makers space, and it is sort of what I am looking for but for steel types and treating/tempering temps/methods.  Sorry if this question is confusing, I thought I had thought this question out but as I typed I got lost in my own question and train of thought. 

Now that I'm outside the edit window I had a better descriptor, as usual.  A dictionary of steel types and uses is basically what I am trying to find.  I found some references to what I want in the forums, but it is very spread out and hard to follow with the information being so disjointed.  I found some books that look promising but they are filled with abbreviations and terms I have no idea what they mean and lack a glossary of any type.  I found another that looked real promising, but it is in pdf form and it is 30 bucks a chapter with there being five separate pdf chapters. 

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:59 PM, Frank Turley said:

A beautiful and most  informative book is, "Werk und werkzeug des Kunstschmieds" by Otto Schmirler. It shows and depicts how-tos from the Schmirler shop in Vienna, Austria. Each page of text is in German, English, and French! It is likely out of print, but may be available through bookfinders.com. Title translates as, "Work and tools of the Artsmith." Well illustrated.

Is this what you were talking about?  https://www.amazon.com/Werk-Werkzeug-Kunstschmieds-Smithys-German/dp/3803050405.  I'm pretty sure it is just wanted to check before I jumped on it. 

17 minutes ago, GandalftheGold said:

Is this what you were talking about?  https://www.amazon.com/Werk-Werkzeug-Kunstschmieds-Smithys-German/dp/3803050405.  I'm pretty sure it is just wanted to check before I jumped on it. 

18 minutes ago, GandalftheGold said:

Yes, that's the book, and looks like a good price, too.

One issue is that there is not a single answer for many of these as it depends on how you plan to use the metal.

When I start with a new alloy I look it up in the ASM handbook and find things like suggested forging temps and heat treat---but I have to know that if I want to use it for a knife blade I will need to adjust the heat treat for the thinner cross section.  Most good bladesmithing books will cover the alloys generally used for bladesmithing and their forging and heat treating requirements as well. (My last "deep dive" was in modifying some S-1 punches and the ASM handbook mentions it doesn't profit from Normalization which was a surprise to me!)

If you read the *older* smithing books they generally cover testing each new piece of stock to figure out how to use and work it as there was not much uniformity in the materials at that date though "Mechanics Exercises", Moxon, does list various countries and what the wrought iron produced by them is generally used for.

Modern books like Machinerys Handbook have an alloy list and what they are good for---but that is not always aligned with the real world---(S7 would make great jackhammer bits; but the standard alloy used is 1050 for instance...)