I Forge Iron

Mini Foundry Question

Spookygami

Hiya I acquired a mini foundry at a local garage sale expo and had some questions about how to use it

I'm only just starting starting metal casting/blacksmithing and I know the basics for the most part it's just this is really small about 6inch diameter and 4inches tall. How am I supposed to heat it up?

At first I was thinking about using a small fuel supply like coal or wood and letting the crucible sit on top, but that doesn't seem right. Also thought of setting it in a ceramic vase and lining it with charcoal and setting the foundry inside it to heat it up, but I'm not sure. I would like to get some professional opinions about it if possible

3e9c888e-002a-471c-9e3c-6cbb4516e376.png

Welcome aboard Spooky, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you  might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance.

That isn't a "foundry" just as a wrench isn't an auto shop. That looks like a lead pot used for melting lead. You see similar tools now and then I have a couple. They were used in the day when molten lead was used for plumbing, anchoring things in concrete stone, etc. casting fishing weights bullets, and such. There would have been a melter that fit in, possibly heated with a gasoline or kerosene torch, maybe electric if it's recent enough.

Looking more closely it looks like there are two pots on in the other. What's the larger one look like inside?

Frosty The Lucky.

There's a violin shop in Fredericksburg that makes and repairs stringed instruments. That could be another possibility: luthiers use hide glue almost exclusively, both for its strength and because it can easily be disassembled and reglued.