I Forge Iron

Ever See One Of These?

I found this in buried in my dad's garage after he passed away. It looks to be an anvil of some type. It's approximately 10 1/2" x 15 1/2" x 2 1/4" thick and weighs 75 lbs. stamped or forged into the corners are "B-50" and "Forged Steel" but no makers mark that I can find. Any info would be appreciated.

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

My first thought was a tractor weight, but I'm starting to think it is something else for a couple reasons.

For one, it isn't shaped like most tractor weights, even though it does resemble one at first glance. Secondly, it says "FORGED STEEL". Why would they go to the expense of closed-die forging their weights? Is cast iron an insufficient material to make an ugly chunk of gravity? I don't see how that would help their marketing, even if they were lying.

Sure, it will work for an anvil!

Well that's about as close as I've seen yet; good eye Biggun. There are no holes in the "ears" for alignment posts but after cleaning it up some more, I drilled the rust and dirt out of three holes along the right side which turned out to be tapped at 5/16-18. I chased the holes with a bottom tap and you can see the bolts in the holes in the attached pic.

A4.jpg

49 minutes ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

I never made mine when I had my shop, I just bought them like the picture I posted. They are pretty affordable, and it sped up the process of making a die set. 

Redsmith, look around some more, you may find the top piece too

Was he a machinist, or tool and die maker? 

Biggun, he was an aircraft mechanic by trade by loved to learn about everything and never could pass up any good deal if he thought he'd ever find a use for it. I grew up going to swap meets and garage sales with him...now I have the disease. Great memories.

If you want it smooth again make friends with the guys at an automotive machine shop. The one my friend worked at had a flywheel grinder that was essentially a small Blanchard. Or if they are set up for shaving heads, they could deck it for you for probably less than a regular machine shop would charge. 

That plate has a lot of potential for various projects. 

9 minutes ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Or if they are set up for shaving heads, they could deck it for you for probably less than a regular machine shop would charge. 

Or just get some disposable razors and a can of shaving cream from the dollar store.

On 10/16/2017 at 11:20 AM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Good eye Biggun, I would have never guessed given the weight.

BTW: Redsmith, if you put your location in your profile you may be surprised how many of the gang are near you and could visit. Another reason is some answers are location dependent.

Great idea IDF&C...thanks

8 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

If you want it smooth again make friends with the guys at an automotive machine shop. The one my friend worked at had a flywheel grinder that was essentially a small Blanchard. Or if they are set up for shaving heads, they could deck it for you for probably less than a regular machine shop would charge. 

That plate has a lot of potential for various projects. 

It could use a liitle TLC, I'll look around and see what I can find. It looks like I can make good use of it...might as well start with a clean slate...so to speak.