Sign in to follow this  
olfart

Air-Assisted Hydraulic Bottle Jack Press

I've got the bug for a press after seeing the hydraulic press that the club bought recently, but I don't have $3,500 lying loose at the moment.  Would a 20 ton air-assisted hydraulic bottle jack do the job if mounted in a press frame?  I have a large press I built 35 years ago, and adapting that jack to the press can be done in short order.  One drawback is having to manually release pressure on the jack each time to get it to retract.  For the difference in price, I think I can handle that inconvenience.

I know folks have experimented with that in the past, and hopefully someone with hands-on experience will chime in.  I've done some research on it and I believe the consensus is that the major drawback for the air over hydraulic presses is actuation speed.  Better than nothing, but hardly the equal of a true hydraulic forging press.

OK, thanks.  I'll probably give it a shot.  If nothing else it will be better than the manual bottle jack I've been using on the press for other things.

As you said, Latticino, it's slow.  But it's faster than trying to move heavy metal with a hammer.  A bigger/better compressor might improve the speed a little.  Even having to turn the valve to retract the jack, I can still get 2 - 3 squeezes to a heat if I work fast.  I'm working on a piece of 3/4" coil spring in hopes of turning it into a knife-shaped object.  So far I have the blade portion down to about 3/8" thick after working for about an hour this afternoon.

Agreed it can work, just no where near as well as a real hydraulic press.  Not sure it is that much faster than a hammer though if it takes you a full hour to turn a 3/4" coil into 3/8" flat stock (depending on length of course).