I Forge Iron

Can you ID this anvil by pictures alone?

This is an anvil I am getting as part of a package deal that includes a table forge, leg vise, and smith's drill for a steal, so I know it's not in great shape, but I'll take it for a starter.

I do not have this anvil in my possession yet, so I can't provide any more detail than what you see in the pictures. I may pick up this weekend though. 

It has some swayback in the face, and the right edge clearly has lost some of the face. The dark "shadow" on the face in a few of the pics is just water that fell on it when the owner removed the tarp covering it. 

I'm thinking it's an old, old Vulcan based on the shape of the body, but I am relatively new to this, hence my asking. Any help will be appreciated. 

-John

Anvil 1.JPG

Anvil 2.JPG

Anvil 3.JPG

Anvil 4.JPG

Were I getting that anvil I'd just work around the chipped part. Plenty of great usable space on that one to use. Just wire wheel it and use it. Grinding only reduces its useful life. Slight radius on edges is fine but use it for a while first. 

The horn and body shape lead me to think Mousehole. Once you get it you can wire wheel it and look for markings. 

So I finally picked this thing up yesterday. The former owner said he thought it was around 170 lb. 

the first time I tried to pick it up I knew there was no way - it had to be over 200. 

I weighed it today and current weight is 231! It's a xxxxxxxx beast!

...and a bastard it move and carry, and I'm in shape and strong and it's still all I can do to move this thing. 

6 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

May I suggest you NOT pick it up and move it without help.  No reason to trash your back at the *START* of a smithing career!   Cherry picker, come-a-long, big burly friends with the anvil fastened to a stout pipe or beam, etc.

Yeah, it's going to get some kind of transportation system. Not that i plan on moving it much. Simple deadlifting it on or off of its stump is easy enough, but I carried it from my truck to my shed yesterday (about 40 yards) hugged to my chest, and I don't have any intention of doing that again...ever. Just the weight of the horn and heel resting on my forearms bruised the muscles. 

STOP CARRYING IT AROUND! Don't repair anything more than a vigorous wire brushing, a cup brush on a right angle disk grinder with serious PPE is perfect.  Just stay away from the chipped edges, there's plenty still there.

That fine old lady is a work horse, you can make anything on her. If you need a shiny face, sharp edges, special shape, etc. make a bottom tool with a shank to match the hardy hole welded to one side. Remember if you run out of room for your tools it's time to build a bigger shop. ;)

Good score.

Frosty The Lucky.