I Forge Iron

I wish I could afford a shop

Glenn

In a survival situations a hatchet and some car hoods would have a water proof and hail resistant roof in a much shorter time....

Time is a major consideration if you have to source your own food and fuel as well as work on a shelter. I have a friend who learned how to make insulin from animals just in case; I was very sorry to have to tell her that the amount of resources that would tie up would be contra-survival and I would expect to work a while and then "I am just going outside and may be some time." (I'm an insulin dependent diabetic for you new folks.)

Yea, I wander how many rabbit thyroid s I could get Sandy to eat...

honestly I think the take away isn't about basic servival as it is what can be done with just Stone Age tools, even if he reaches into Bronze and Iron Age tech he still works with just Stone Age tools. This Obo tech trend seems to be catching on with the Asian kids. Glad we work with Iron Age tools doing Information Age tech... tho I haven't got the hang of reforming computers, the magic smoke gets out

One must admit that they are in food rich environments that would not reasnably take 1/2 a day to harvest enugh food. Even here I wouldn't be hard pressed to score a meal in under an hour. Then again I grew up in the sanoran desert, and could score a meal in under an hour their too, lol. Many a rabbit fell to a fist sized river rock. Mastery of fire is the hurdle, after than is just knowing we're to find the resorces (and what they are!) water is not as hard to find in the sanoran desert as on would propose, and shade is your bidets shelter need. But the rule of threes still applies, 3 min with out air, 3 hours with out shelter, 3 days with out water and 3 weeks with out food. In reality after 1/2 that time you are incompasitated and unless you reside help your going to die anyway. 

One finds a sheltered spot and builds a fire! Then sorses water, even if one must move camp. Where their is water there is food, with fire, ware and the potential for food one improves their sheltered spot, and looks to how to catch water and build traps and hand lines. All ferry easy with knife and an axe, much harder with out as now we have to reinvent the wheel. What makes survival so difficult is staying put, lack of simple tools (knife and lighter) and most of all lack of knowledge. Unlike TP who would just stop with out his insulin I would degenerate into a raving loonitic... or just more so than usual.   

Time - way back at the beginning, humans had lots of time and not much else. I was told the tile roofed hut took this guy over 100 days. Don't know if that was all day every day. You gotta take time out to eat once in a while.

This is an interesting exercise, but as Thomas pointed out, we have an abundance of scrap material lying around. If civilization fell apart, it would be decades, maybe centuries before we'd have to create completely from scratch.

"Staying put is a problem as you exhaust game in your area"  And that's why nature developed migration. The next specie will be along shortly. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

The fact that he goes on to make floor heating is amazing. My Sister in law and nice are Anthropologist and I showed this to them. One of the things I like most about this guy is there is no background music and he says nothing at all. I would like to see a flint knapped (sp) ax head but I don't know if that area has the right kind of stone. That may be why he went with the type of ax he uses. There is a video where he shows de-toxifying (I think that is a word) some tubers in the waterfall. That reminds me of something my daughter and I muse about olives. Anyone that eats most types of olives off of the tree is in for a nasty shock. They need to have the bitter chemicals leached out of them before they can be eaten. The question we always wonder is how someone figured this out.  

Thanks for posting these   

A good guide is the indigenous populations, they had 10,000 years if you believe the story to figure out what worked. For me its a Wigwam (eastern woodlands USA) . Hmmm wonder if I can get 16 foot ceilings, I guess its a long house for my new shop! 

Marcusb, I think I'd back up one step and take a look at the earth lodge... 

The work with earthbags makes them even more practical. With tornado ally migrating east and the increase in huracains just might tip the scale...

eseemann, lots of plant foods in the Americas required processing to make them if not palatable atleast safe to eat. sallacidic ,spelling?) acid being the most common problem (tho tannins in acorns being another). The fact that maize, squash, beans, sunflowers and potatoes didn't require so much work led to their spread across the new world. I assume a similar thing happens in the old world, leading to the emigrants bringing seeds from known safe (and requiring low processing) foods with them.