I Forge Iron

I wish I could afford a power hammer

This is the guy that has a hut with a terracotta roof using only a stone ax, clay pots he made on site and his digging stick. If this guy is not on your Zombie Apocalypse dream team you are missing out. This guy makes iron from orange goo to show it can be done.      

Littleblacksmith sent me that video a while back. Pretty ingenious! That guy has some amazing stuff. Check out the mud forge and blower he did!

I'm not personally inclined to reject every benifit of living in a word full of inventions, but I can't say it ain't impressive to see guys like him start at square ZERO!

Oh, there's the blower one! Didn't see that you already posted it.

Paradox, I really like his videos as well but I have to agree with Thomas. That's an interesting part to me in watching as well tho. With knowledge of how to, what you can do with so little but nature. Not saying he couldn't do some things easier or better by I sure don't have the time now to try. 

I think Glenn's point in posting these is that for the people that can't find the "normal" tools, that with some knowledge of the roots of the tools, they can find a way to get by and learn the craft/trade. Knowledge is the key component. Not only knowledge but really thinking outside of the average consumer mentality ( if that's the right term) and thinking " how can I do this." Instead of " I can't find, afford, make this to be able to start forging or making certain things." And it's not always perfect but we live in abundance of certain inexpensive or free materials. Sure anvil and blacksmithing "equipment" has gone up in price lately but things people Can Use as a means to the craft are all around us, cheap or free. A bit of knowledge, and thinking on how to apply it are all you need. And the people that come on here asking are the ones that have the best tool imaginable: the world wide web, and the many many years of experience and knowledge that have been put on it to learn from. The key is to take it and put it to practice in real life. Whatever your circumstances may be. I have often though of what all I could do and where to source materials/ tools if I were homeless/ lost in the woods, whatever. It's really amazing what all is abundant, and these videos really only put you in the middle of the wilderness with nothing but some knowledge. Imagine what you could do, use, or make just outside of a city or suburbia. 

Sorry Paradox, that wasn't aimed at you. 

Actually I think he is a level *below* survival.  If he was in a survival situation and spent as much time as he does on those projects he would probably not survive---unless he was in a very forgiving environment. Did you watch "Frontier House" where at the end of the program they evaluated the various cases and decided that NONE of them had cut enough wood to survive the winter?

23 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Did you watch "Frontier House" where at the end of the program they evaluated the various cases and decided that NONE of them had cut enough wood to survive the winter?

I think I recall that the judges determined that the young couple had cut barely enough wood for the winter, but also that they had the strongest relationship and ability to work together. The rich fellow with his "wafers" of firewood was a joke, as was his dismissal of their lack of food stores with "Well, we can hunt."

That was a good show; I should go back and watch it again.