I Forge Iron

Anvil Identification (help)

Thanks for your kind advises. I'm glad they are no concern at all.

@SLAG: I didn't do the rebound test, since I don't have a ball steel. But I did ring and bounce test by using a hammer. It sounded and bounced right to me based on information I gathered from youtube.

Would this be the youtube that has people advising using plaster of paris and sand to line gas forges with?  Flat Earthers? Vaccinations causing autism? Not a source I would want to claim unless I knew enough to be able to judge if it was any good or not---in which case you probably don't need it anyway.

Sturgeon's Law holds there. There are a lot of great videos; unfortunately there are even more poor ones.

@ThomasPowers: I totally understand about your resentment on youtube. There are so much garbage information floating around since peoples just want to get attention.

In any case, I watched this video to compare the sound and bounce when he strike the anvil with a hammer:

I hope he didn't misled me by much... 

On another note, I have a question if you don't mind. Should I use grinder to remove the BB weld or there is another method which is better? Thanks again for keeping up with my noob questions.

I'd start by trying a file and only go to a sanding disk if it's too hard to file.  Planish the last little bit down to flat to work harden it too.  A chisel is prone to leaving a divot because of cracking in the HAZ.

(and I'd like to know how hard his hammer is too as that looks like some cheap soft ones I have seen)  

Thank you for not getting bent out of shape by my mini-youtube rantlet.

Using a file will be then. 

I'm really thankful for all information you give me. Truly much appreciated.

Don't worry about rantlet.... I did that sometime to my other half and I totally know how you feel. Everything is good...;)

7 minutes ago, tagheuer said:

Yeah mate, 

don't grind it, don't weld on it, just use it and enjoy it. 

You have a better anvil than most beginners and you've acquired some tongs and hammers in the process. 

Time to stop worrying and start learning and enjoying. 

Good luck. 

10 hours ago, ThomasD said:

Yeah mate, 

don't grind it, don't weld on it, just use it and enjoy it. 

You have a better anvil than most beginners and you've acquired some tongs and hammers in the process. 

Time to stop worrying and start learning and enjoying. 

Good luck. 

Will do Sir.

Thank you ;)