I Forge Iron

My first JABOD forge

That's okay. You also want the top of the forge to be completely covered as well. Otherwise, you'll get sand getting scraped off the surface as you rake coal into the fire. At that point, you might as well just clay the whole thing. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:16 AM, JHCC said:

That's okay. You also want the top of the forge to be completely covered as well. Otherwise, you'll get sand getting scraped off the surface as you rake coal into the fire. At that point, you might as well just clay the whole thing. 

I understand that it would be the "best" thing to clay everything, the issue is that I don't have enough clay, so what I finished out with is about 3 inches of clay for the bottom of the entire box, and the walls of my trench are made of clay they are about 2-3 inches thick, and the rest of the box is filled with sand, I am considering either packing bricks in the sand so that I wont have to fight the sand when I need to rake charcoal in or just making a top layer of clay which do yall think would be best?

no lol, im about 15 minutes from Kinston North Carolina, but put it this way the place I actually live in is called the Sandhill Township, and honestly there is maybe 5 or 6 inches of actual Dirt and then it is nothing but sand

25 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Sand was simpler than dirt?  Are you on the coast or barrier islands?

So 3" of clay of a 8" box is 3/8 or just shy of 40%. Even if we are talking a 1/2 is acualy sand or silt 20% clay is still in the Adobe brick making range. Mixing your clay with sand and some ash to make mud pies would make a nice material for a forge. As clinker dosnt stick to Adobe nerve as well as it sticks to vitrified clay. And I thought I had trouble with overthinking this. 

What was I saying about kids? Buy the kid books. And buy the kid books and all he dose is eat the @&$!! Covers!

9 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

So 3" of clay of a 8" box is 3/8 or just shy of 40%. Even if we are talking a 1/2 is acualy sand or silt 20% clay is still in the Adobe brick making range. Mixing your clay with sand and some ash to make mud pies would make a nice material for a forge. As clinker dosnt stick to Adobe nerve as well as it sticks to vitrified clay. And I thought I had trouble with overthinking this. 

What was I saying about kids? Buy the kid books. And buy the kid books and all he dose is eat the @&$!! Covers!

Nope, Im a readaholic lol

That is my final product what do y'all think, and yeah I still need to get the dried clay off of the right side ledge

IMG_20171016_095145.jpg

IMG_20171016_095139.jpg

IMG_20171016_095134.jpg

IMG_20171016_095131.jpg

IMG_20171016_095049.jpg

IMG_20171016_095041.jpg

IMG_20171016_095038.jpg

IMG_20171016_093846.jpg

Is it doing what you need it too?  As I teach in class I tell them when they come up and ask me if their S hook is "right" I will tell them:  "If you like it; it's perfect!  If you don't like it; it's horribly horribly wrong!"  (If they can give me some criteria: "Will it be strong enough?, "How do I make it more symmetrical?", etc; then I can tell them if it's "right" and how to fix it if not.  Part of the class is learning to deal with problems working how steel.  I allow some categories of problems to occur to show the class how to fix them when they happen to other people.  The dreaded C hook is fairly common and they are upset until I point out that we are twisting the shaft and so just stop the twist with the hooks in opposition...)

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Is it doing what you need it too?  As I teach in class I tell them when they come up and ask me if their S hook is "right" I will tell them:  "If you like it; it's perfect!  If you don't like it; it's horribly horribly wrong!"  (If they can give me some criteria: "Will it be strong enough?, "How do I make it more symmetrical?", etc; then I can tell them if it's "right" and how to fix it if not.  Part of the class is learning to deal with problems working how steel.  I allow some categories of problems to occur to show the class how to fix them when they happen to other people.  The dreaded C hook is fairly common and they are upset until I point out that we are twisting the shaft and so just stop the twist with the hooks in opposition...)

For the most part yes, I was able to get to the steel between orange and dark yellow fairly consistently, and I was able to get it up to a really bright yellow heat a few times tho it was inconsistent.

44 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

I see ash and charming... so the question is how did it work?

Just now, Dillion Brian Grant said:

For the most part yes, I was able to get to the steel between orange and dark yellow fairly consistently, and I was able to get it up to a really bright yellow heat a few times tho it was inconsistent.

The only issue is i think I need to make the tuyere wall even with the trench wall because I can only get about 1/3-1/2 of the fire pit bright yellow/ almost white

What I see is the trench is all the way down to the tuyere. You need a bowl, in this case it is flat sided, with the ends loping up too the hearth serface. That is 3-4" above the tuyere. From the hearth surface make two parallel mounds. So the steel goes in at hearth hight and their is fuel piled over it. Only expect an area 6" or so to reach forging/welding heat. 

Just now, Charles R. Stevens said:

What I see is the trench is all the way down to the tuyere. You need a bowl, in this case it is flat sided, with the ends loping up too the hearth serface. That is 3-4" above the tuyere. From the hearth surface make two parallel mounds. So the steel goes in at hearth hight and their is fuel piled over it. Only expect an area 6" or so to reach forging/welding heat. 

I don't mean to be a nuisance but by any chance would you be able to draw out what you are meaning because I'm really confused

• 2 weeks later...

We'll y'all after multiple fires and some good fun, I decided I would continue my work on the knife I had been working on before I decided to change my forge, and my forge can definately get hot enough, I stuck the knife in to begin normalizing it, and in about 2 minutes I took it back out and it had burned to pieces :angry::angry: bad fire bad fire