I Forge Iron

Hello from Washington State

Hello everyone!  My name is Tom and I live in Western Washington State.   I moved here about 1-1/2 years ago from Hawaii, where I grew up and lived for 36 years.   I started a small business here on our property doing some welding and metal work.  Mostly furniture and small tools and repair type of stuff.  I have always wanted to get into blacksmithing and with my recent find of an anvil, I am one step closer.  My wife has signed me up for an intro to Blacksmithing course for my Christmas gift.  I'm excited to be here on the forum and gather knowledge from all of you! 

Aloha,

Tom

anvil 105.jpg

Welcome aboard Tom, glad to have you. I'm afraid I'm morally obligated to warn you that you've moved into THE hot bed of blacksmithing activity in the West. The main perpetrators being the NWBA those nefarious rapscallions are always eager to help fresh customers become as hopelessly addicted as they are. 

Let me get this straight, you grew up in Hawaii and moved to the rainy Pacific NW?  Kind of backwards you know. You're going to fit right in here.

Know any good jokes, like puns?

Frosty The Lucky.

Do you know any train puns?

Welcome to the forum. I've lived in Washington my whole life, except for a short stint in California and another in Oregon - don't hold that against me - and I don't have any idea where Olalla is even though I've heard the name quite a bit. Guess Google maps could cure that. LOL Hawaii?! What would possess you to move from there to here?

I could give you some train puns, but I don't want to de-rail this thread. . . . 

Olalla is just north of Gig Harbor.  

Hawaii has the worst traffic in the nation, is the least 'small business friendly' state, one of the highest cost of living, and is number one in the amount of people living pay check to pay check.  All that on top of a state and county government that seems to be hell bent on driving the state into the ground made for a pretty easy argument for leaving Hawaii.  We love it up here.   Miss our people and some of the food that is hard to get over here, but overall, we love it!

So you do wish to en-Gauge in train puns eh?  Cool.

I've visited the islands once, I like the dry side of the big island and the coffee is really good. There's nothing like a cup brewed from beans still smoking from the roaster. Mmmmmm. I liked standing close enough to the lava flow to make my jeans smoke though I never did get back with a steak to roast. WAY too expensive!

I'd go nuts in short order, I got along great with the locals but the Japanese tourists treated you like a pot hole in their personal highway.  I was embarrassed for them, shameful behavior. You see the same thing here but that's tourists. I call them touroids, pains in the butt from somewhere else. Just save enough money to go home. 

So I can understand why a person with some ambition and maybe a desire for variety in life would hit the mainland. Puget sound is better rain forest than the wet side of an Island, any one of them. Hawaii is nice a place to visit but I ain't living there more than a couple weeks.

I don't think your Motive is Loco.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 months later...

Asimov's well-known creation,
The series of books called "Foundation",
Have brought him acclaim,
And made well-known his name,
To readers throughout the whole nation.

(Bonus points to whoever identifies the specific allusion.)

13 hours ago, JHCC said:

Bonus points to whoever identifies the specific allusion

Not completely sure regarding your reference to an allusion there, but I assume you must be talking about Hari (Raven) Seldon, one of the key protagonists in the series.  Apparently the fictional "Psychohistory" that Seldon develops in the series has become the inspiration for some of today's statistical economic theory as well as "Big Data" analysis in the same way that countless other SF novels have inspired modern science.