I Forge Iron

tools i can make

Good Morning Dillon,

You are going to start having people ignore you, if you continue to ignore their suggestions. This is not 'Day Care'. To start, you MUST START. Get away from the keyboard, play with your Play-Doh, make something hot and learn how metal moves, REAL Hands-On, your Hands!!

If you don't have a reference BOOK, buy one. 'The Blacksmithing Primer' is a good place to start. Randy explains How, Why and Whynot. He also has some useful projects to get you used to Forging.

To learn, you must pay attention to suggestions. There are a pile on the previous page of this Topic (waste of time).

Neil

Yeah, what Swedefiddle said, and, Get Out There And Hit Hot Metal! Make S hooks for days. Make larger stock smaller, make square round and round square. Play. 

If you got half inch square, see how small of stock you can make it into. Make it 1/4" stock to make s hooks. Make a spoon, make a toasting fork. 

Actually, find what inspires you and do the best you can with what you have. I really did start with a bunch of rebar and made it into things. Regular stock is WAY better to start with. Let your imagination loose and or look up things. Geesh, google images has way more then you can probably have time to make. I swear I forget more great ideas then I even look up. World at your finger tips my friend. :) 

Sure there are. It's great to ask questions and get ideas. At some point tho it's good to get a fire going and just hammer something. No need to be sorry. No need to think this is an exact program either. What I meant in my response and possibly Swede too is that it's time to start. I know I waited too long in the " where do I start" field, when I'd have been learning more actually forging. If you are setup or could be, just bash some steel. I'm sure you have some ideas to try by now. Get a feel for it. Fail a little, succeed a little. Be safe but jump in the pool. You can't drown in it. You can only learn. Ppe ( personal protective equipment) and go. :) it only gets more fun the more you achieve and learn. But don't get too caught up in the book smarts of it till you have some hammer time.  Take it to the forge and try it. 

No need to apologize for being annoying, you're a teen you can't help it. :P

Light a fire, heat some stock and change it's shape. Forget what I said about making sets, just make things. Nothing you make is wrong, the only thing you can do wrong is NOT make mistakes. If you're not making mistakes you aren't making anything. 

Just relax and have some fun with hot steel and a hammer. It gets nothing but better when you do.

Frosty The Lucky.