I Forge Iron

Fluxes

Sort of depends on what alloys you will be using it on. I guess it's mild steel since you didn't say and I use straight 20MT borax for that. (And switch to the flux below if A36 is being a pain)

For my BSB & PS billets I used 3 parts 20MT to 1 part Boric Acid (roach-prufe)

Steve Sells uses an exelent mix for chromium steels that is Borax, boric acid and an other chemical that is used as a plumbers flux. As I have a pea brain and TJ has my copy of Steves book, perhaps he will chime in and remind us all of the mix. I know he has shared it befor but my search-foo hasn't turned it up. 

Welcome aboard Jack, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised who lives within visiting distance. 

My old standard was 3-4 pts. 20 MT borax to 1pt. boric acid. I've since switched to Peterson #2 flux, it's off the shelf welding, brazing, etc. flux from the local welding supply. It seems to work as well as any of the newer recipes for "forge welding" flux you can get for much more money at blacksmith supplies online. 

If you're going to weld stainless you have to use a more aggressive flux than sal amoniac and more toxic. Think about serious respirator, supplied air and specialty filters. Cutting through chrome oxides takes serious stuff not to mention letting hexavalent chrome get in you. It's a nasty cancer risk.

Frosty The Lucky.