I Forge Iron

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you have lots of info right in front of you.  Take a wire wheel cup on an angle grinder and clean this area.  

I can see the 131, and part of the other stamping.

test.jpg

I cleaned those areas and all that was there was the letters USA and underneath that and just to the left 131

also are there any ideas what brand/age my anvil may be, as well as how it was probably made

I cleaned those areas and all that was there was the letters USA and underneath that and just to the left 131

also are there any ideas what brand/age my anvil may be, as well as how it was probably made

You most likely have a very early U.S. Trenton anvil, forged like the German ones.  

Scrub the front foot under the horn for remnants of a serial number.  Usually just to the right of the handling hole in the foot.

You most likely have a very early U.S. Trenton anvil, forged like the German ones.  

Scrub the front foot under the horn for remnants of a serial number.  Usually just to the right of the handling hole in the foot.

Well, I had to go home to get something for the house in working on, and I took a second to check and it does faintly look like numbers or something is on the front foot just like you suggested, when I get done with work today I'll be sure to wire brush it and give it a better look,

what do you mean AIA??

Yes indeed, first year forged Trenton.  AIA indicates 1898.  If you chalk higher up on the side above the USA stamp, we may see remnants of the circular "SOLID WROUGHT" stamp or Trenton  diamond. Thanks for the pics!

Also im curious to know, as far as anvil brands go, how does a Trenton rank?

131 lbs. for an American made Trenton, it's lost 6 lbs in the last century. Trentons are top shelf anvils, she'll do good work for a few  more generations. Your Grandkids can tell their kids about Grandpa the blacksmith's anvil and tools while they teach the next generation to use them. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Lost weight or lack of scale calibration to modern scales---your scale has been calibrated recently right?  (Though it is common for old anvils to be a couple of pounds "Light" when weighed nowadays.)

Trenton is one of the top tier american anvils!

Yes it is a brand new scale not even a month old, and like I said what's up with the E