I Forge Iron

Pain, Pain, and did I mention Pain

So, for those that didn't know, I am 17 I just turned 17 on September 27th, anyway I know it may sound kind of pathetic but I am serious when I ask, what can I do to limit or hopefully stop pain in my left had, fingers, and wrist, it isn't just blacksmithing only its anything at all if I use my left hand within about 1-3 minutes the pain increases to the point that I can't hold anything in that hand for about 10 minutes and I am unable to open my fingers completely and I have had this problem for quite a few years so it isn't new but it obviously hinders me being able to forge efficiently because I can't hammer more than 5 or 6 swings before the pain is to intense. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and yes I am left handed

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Morning, Dillion

See your Dr. Bones and ask him/her. Probably need to do some exercises to build up your muscle. I keep an elastic band that comes on Broccolli, yes the blue wide one. Put it around the outside of your finger tips, expand your fingers, out, relax, out, relax, etc. Stop if it hurts. I keep the elastic on the outside of my wallet, stops the moths from escaping (LOL)

Neil

Pain is your body's way of telling your brain it is doing something stupid.  

So stop what your doing and figure out way it hurts, and what is causing the pain.

This is not normal so have someone with medical credentials look at the problem. 

About a year of so ago I talked about it to my doctor because it was becoming almost unbearable to skin deer and he suggested I wear a wrist brace and I did that for about 5 or 6 months but it didn't help any,

And Jeremy, I am pretty active, I'm not an exercizaholic, but i do exercise at home fairly often so I stay in shape, and I don't have a death grip on my hammer I hold it just firmly enough that it doesn't fly out of my hand, and the hammer I have been using was a 2 lb cross pin but it broke at the handle a few days ago and my granddad bought me a new one that is a 2 1/2 lb cross pein

And like I said Glenn, when I talked to my doctor he suggested wearing a wrist brace when I wanting doing anything and after about 5 or 6 months it wasn't doing anything of any kind of help

But it may just be something I have to deal with I've dealt this long so eh I definitely wont let it stop me from doing something I love

The elastic exercise Swedefiddle mentions is a very important one. It exercises the opposing muscles of the hand, to the ones that are generally used when gripping a hammer. (the latter ones make the fingers and fist clench).

The finger tip expansion exercise counteracts the, more-used, muscle-clenching ones.

The expansion exercise should be done regularly.

Also check out illustrations of suggested hammer grasp. Placing the thumb along the top of the handle will eventually cause a world of hurt. The thumb should almost touch the other fingers when the hammer handle is properly grasped.

Good luck with those suggestions. I hope that clears up the problem in a few weeks.

Regards,

SLAG.

DANGER there are a lot of joint/ligament issues that YOU CANNOT WORK THROUGH trying to do so can cause major damage requiring surgery to get a *partial* recovery.  I suggest you read extensively on carpal tunnel syndrome and get to a Dr that works with sports injuries (or computer geek injuries).

Read up on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome ASAP!!!!!!!  I personally have more issues with "blacksmith's elbow"; but working in IT I've known quite a few folks ending up having surgery because of it and them trying to work through it. (It helps that I am not a touch typist; rather an old fashioned "pound it into submission" typer evidently that is easier on the hand.)

Dillion, I suggest to first get a proper diagnosis.

At 17 pain that stops you from a few hammer blows is not normal. There are many things that can be done if in fact it is carpal tunnel syndrome something we don't know. 

The first suggestions are usually losing weight and stop the activity that causes the pain or change the way you do them.

Best course of action see a doctor that is interested past suggestions of a wrist band. Just as an illustration, acupuncture was proven effective in some research. 

Actually Charles even tho most kids my age do play a lot of video games I do not really play them much at all really I just use a computer alot for school work and to research things that peak my interest but other than that I am mostly doing stuff outside, like working in the yard, working in my grandads garden(may as well call it a small field lol, and forging of course

Reference: Science-Based Medicine

While manipulation of any kind has the potential to cause injury, stroke caused by neck manipulation is of greatest concern. Risk must always be weighed against benefit when upper neck manipulation is considered. Risk of stroke caused by neck manipulation is statistically low, but the risk is serious enough to outweigh benefit in all but a few rare, carefully selected cases.

If you are interested, you can read the rest of the article (Reference: Science-Based Medicine),  or use google and search for more information. 

HTSH.,

I respectfully disagree. A surgeon would be my third or fourth choice of a physician for a joint problem. (also backs, especially)

I strongly urge the young gentleman to seek a good sports medicine doctor first. They deal with carpel tunnel and other joint problems on a weekly basis.

Contact an experienced nurse to get the name of the physician. They know the great doctors from the mediocre ones.Surgery should be the choice of 'last' resort. Why? Because when there is surgery all other options disappear. I come from a medical research background and my sister is a seasoned physiotherapist, who is well worth listening to.

Sometimes carpel tunnel can be treated by exercise. Sometimes a hydrocortisone shot will solve the problem (probably with further exercise). Much less often will surgery be necessary.

Hope this post helps the discussion.

Regards to all,

SLAG.

Dillion, please, please see a competent doctor. Carpal tunnel may be likely, but isn't the only possible reason for pain and numbness. I had a herniated disk in my neck which caused similar problems. A chiropractor wouldn't have been the right move. Get an accurate diagnosis so you have accurate and informed choices of treatment. We can guess  all day and not help you any.