I Forge Iron

First time forging

JWbigpraire

Hello all. I just set up my stuff today for the first time. Little coal forge with a bunch of stuff I managed to find In my grandfathers pig house loft a couple years ago. First project was to try and make a hook for a pot hanger. I managed to burn up two pieces of steel before I got it made. Lol I’m going to try and load some pics

291ACB8A-FA36-4CE0-832F-40728C1CDE92.jpeg

i Probably shouldn’t be so proud of it but I am

0497F4C8-55AF-4CD1-B939-648FE6E2FB3E.jpeg

Welcome aboard JW, glad to have you.

Well, that ain't bad for a first time at the anvil, not aTall, ATALL. It's easy to burn your stock in a coal forge that's just part of the learning curve. Less blast, it's the air that makes the heat.

You ARE going to post pics of the loot you salvaged from the pig house. YES? We LOVE pics you know, try and stay on our good side. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Nashville Ohio just south of Wooster

Hence, Big Prairie. Gotcha. I'm up in Oberlin, but we've got other folks closer to you; @SReynolds is in Mansfield, I believe, and there are others as well. Try to connect with folks. You'll learn more in person in an hour than you will in a week on the internet. 

I was trying to post the pic of the rivet forge but for some reason it won’t load all I have is the bowl everything else I cobbed together. That pig house loft was really cool full of old tools and bits of steel and such also a whole bunch of wasps that didn’t seem to like me that much. Which is really strange since I’m such a nice guy. Lol

Welcome to the addiction. Sure you should be proud. You got started moving metal. Now to learn fire control, and paying attention to things In the fire. :) you found the right place to learn. Also like JHCC mentioned, look for other locals and a local group. 

As for pictures possibly try resizing them a  little smaller maybe?  

Yeah, your pics are probably just too big. I do a save as and reduce them to under 200kb. Then resize the things in the window when I post so they don't make people scroll down and sideways to look at bits and pieces. Unless I'm feeling like messing with someone, then all bets are off. :P

Frosty The Lucky.

See, someone with better eyes than I knows just what you have. Decent looking rivet forge too, did you make the legs or was that what came with? I'd weld sq. tubing to them that smaller sq. tubing would telescope into and make helpers to support long stock in the fire. They also make handy tong hangers, I put them on all my forges. EXCEPT my rivet forge which has factory legs that makes it a pure PITA to add anything. I use a free standing helper for long stock.

Classic modern traditional ducting connection between your blower and the forge. Well done. Mine still has the original clamp to connect the blower and tuyere which is nice enough, it drops in and clamps but it doesn't move. I'm stuck with the blower crank almost into the fire. With the ducting connection you can put the blower where ever is handy for the situation. 

I am a function over form guy. My first priority is the tool do what it's supposed to and safely, how it looks is a ways farther down the list. ;)

Nice. Enjoy.

Frosty The Lucky.

I started with an electric blower back in 1981, switched to a hand crank pretty quick and then switched to a double lunged bellows each time felling that I was doing better.  After about 20 years of bellows, I moved 1500 miles and left the bellows to a friend and am back on hand crank when I use coal. (Coal quality out here hasn't incline me to build another bellows!)  Mainly propane out here as in many places it's a requirement that all fire using devices have an on/of "switch".

I see.  I am using a shopvac with a valve system to help regulate the air going through.  Although I seem to always have not enough or too much air.  I am also using charcoal, I am not quite intense enough yet to burn rocks.  I see the forge cranks a lot at the local flea markets so I will have to snag one sometime.  

I do rather like how this guy has it all set up. Also great finds with the pig house tools.  I love old school antique tools, they're so great.