I Forge Iron

Chipped piece off of Axe

I am still new to blacksmithing but recently I found an old double bit axe I was trying to save. I was nearly complete when I decided to harden the blade before sharpening and etching. I hardened the edge in water because I thought the steel wouldn't harden very well (I know terrible mistake) I ended up cracking the lower part of one of the sides of the axe. I'm still trying to save the axe (The other side is still fine) but I don't know what I can do with this double bit axe when the other side cannot be symmetrical. does anyone have ideas on what to do with the other edge? (Maybe a spike or a smaller head?) I'd really like some advice from people who know what their doing.

Welcome aboard!

You could put a single sided bevel (just make sure it's on the correct side for your right or left-handedness) on the damaged side and and have a combination felling and shaping axe! I see some appeal to the bushcraft world... Whatever you do, keep in mind that the high carbon steel bit, in most old axes, only goes up an inch or two, so you could accidentally grind it off. Also keep in mind that you will be limited to double bit handles as long as you don't re-drift the eye. Good luck, and send us some pics of what you come up with!

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Please come up with a web handle your sign in name is more like something I try to forget. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance.

Bummer about chipping the ax. Do you  know how old it is? Up until not long ago the standard way to get the ax head off broken handles was to toss them in the stove burn it out and recover the ax head and wedges later. New axes don't chip when you rock them. (hit a rock with a missed blow or splitting)

Axes aren't really made for edge holding, they're made for hard use so the steel isn't usually very high carbon nor intended to be HARD, it's meant to be tough. Figure normalized 1045 or the equivalent as a good hewing or splitting ax steel.

Post some pics please and maybe run ideas like that one by us first. Okay? We'll help. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be updating my profile as soon as I have a little spare time in a day or so. And I'll post pictures when possible (I dont have a camera or phone). 

+C1Toolsteel: You suggested turning the damaged end into a shaping axe with a single sided bevel. If I understand a shaping axe is an axe with a smaller head with a chisel styled edge? 

+IronDragon: I'll post a picture when able but to help describe it the bottom corner lost about as much metal as my thumb (give or take a little) I see no other cracks along the axe blade though. I also tempered the remaining blade to prevent further mistakes.

+Frosty: Sorry for my username It's my old tag I used for video games when I was the only person in my friend group who had any interest in forges so it was easily recognizable. I understand that here it makes little sense. Edit: I have some experience with using motor oil to quench would I get better results that way or would that still be too violent? As for the axe I found an old worn name I think it read "Vaughan" but the date was unreadable.

Edited by 1Forge2RTA
Clarifying some details

+C1Toolsteel: You suggested turning the damaged end into a shaping axe with a single sided bevel. If I understand a shaping axe is an axe with a smaller head with a chisel styled edge? 

What I ment was a single bevel for the same purpose of what a broad axe is designed for. The reason I said "shaping axe" is because it technically wouldn't be called a broad axe, unless it had a broad head.

Yes, It will help you to read previous posts on heat treating, but personally, I don't get offended by someone asking our advice. The best way to search for realevant posts is to google the keywords with "iforgeiron" after it. If you don't get your answer, there, that's when you post it here.

+Thomas: I don't have much cash but I'll see if I can get some cleaner oil in the future.

+Steve: I just discovered this forum I'll be sure to do more reading, but I've had very limited internet access so I've been limited to learning through books, trial, and error.

+John: Thanks for the comment! I'm surprised you got the reference (no one else I've ever talked to has)

+C-1: I think I understand, you don't think I should try and salvage the chipped side but rather I should make it a single sided axe?

Are there NO restaurants where you are hat that need to change out the oil in their deep fat fryers?  Talk to the manager and explain that you are a smith looking for some to quench steel in.  I'd expect you could get it for free. Is free too much?

Another source is: generally a bunch of people buy a lot of good oil to deep fry turkeys for thanksgiving and then just throw the oil out---often very nice peanut oil!  Talk to everyone around you---my first step is usually asking around church after the service.  Amazing what I've been given that way!

Are there NO restaurants where you are hat that need to change out the oil in their deep fat fryers?  Talk to the manager and explain that you are a smith looking for some to quench steel in.  I'd expect you could get it for free. Is free too much?

Another source is: generally a bunch of people buy a lot of good oil to deep fry turkeys for thanksgiving and then just throw the oil out---often very nice peanut oil!  Talk to everyone around you---my first step is usually asking around church after the service.  Amazing what I've been given that way!

We just had a restaurant open up in the nearby town that might be willing to give me some oil, I'll be sure to ask them.

I'll also try my church, I've been surprised recently by what other members happen to have information on in regards to smithing materials.

+C-1: I think I understand, you don't think I should try and salvage the chipped side but rather I should make it a single sided axe?

What I meant was to use the good side as is with a double bevel for felling, etc. And turn the chipped side into a hewing axe.

Sorry for the bad clarification skills on my part!:rolleyes: