I Forge Iron

Hi all. I want to identify my anvil I live in New Zealand but my anvil came from Birmingham England (told by the original owner before me) i have wire buffed and found only one mark in the middle of the front foot I will attach photos. Thanks for all the help in advance.

20171003_200644.jpg

20170629_180652.jpg

20170916_122646.jpg

20170629_180721.jpg

Hi Jacob & welcome.

Sorry I can't help with the anvil ID, but our experts will be along shortly to help. It looks like a nice anvil though and should not be ground on, only a wire brush to clean it up and hot metal pounded on the face to shine it up proper.

What I suggest is to go to your profile and add your location because we will never remember it ten min. from now. You may also find there are members near you that are within visiting distance.

Welcome aboard, Jakob!

It is an English made anvil. You really can't ID anvils like this, without markings, because there were hundreds of English anvil manufacturers that all made a similar looking anvil. It appears to be in fantastic shape, though. As long as the rebound is good, you've got a goon'un.

Welcome aboard Jacob, glad to have you. Your anvil looks to be in pretty nice shape, some time with a wire brush and hammering hot steel on her will put a healthy shine on her. Have you done a rebound test? Drop a ball bearing and estimate how far it bounces back as a %. Doing it in front of a ruler, tape measure, etc. is a good way to make the estimation, it's not intended to be an exact test just a way to help evaluate how effective the face should be working metal.

Nice anvil stand, I'm in favor of steel tripods, they're solid, stable on most any surface and help take the ring out of a missed blow. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi no I haven't done a rebound test yet as I don't have any ballbearings. Yea I did ALOT of research into anvil stands and liked the steel tripod as I can stand with my feet under it to get close on small jobs so I made one as heavy as I could afford haha it's almost as heavy as the anvil. 

That anvil appears to be in excellent shape.  A close picture of the other side may prove useful.  If you have looked and see nothing try doing a rubbing of the sides.  A wire wheel could also reveal information that was hidden.  Truth is, though, if it performs well it's pedigree as a great English anvil is solid already.  Enjoy it.

The overall shape, the ridge on the underside of the horn, and the small divots between the numbers of the weight marking are pretty typical of Mousehole Forge. However, lots of anvil makers trained at Mousehole before starting their own workshops, so that's more of a "school of" indication than a solid ID. 

That wouldn't be a nine. The hundredweight system is: first number equals hundredweight (112 pounds), the second number equals quarters of hundredweight (28 pounds), and the final number equals pounds.

I can't make out the middle number either, but let's assume it's a 2. That would mean 1*2*1 = (1 x 112) + (2 x 28) + (1 x 1) = 169 lbs = 76.66 kg. 

But yes, do weigh it.