I Forge Iron

Scrap metal question

A friend brought me some scrap metal that has a goldenish bluish Hue to it almost looks like tempering colors when I put it in the forage and started heating it it formed a strange yellowish powder on the metal anyone have any idea what this is? And is this safe to use in the Forge?

Sounds like zinc residue. I'd not subject it to fire.

Back when I didn't know danger I "cleaned" the zinc coating off some scrap ventilation duct pieces by burning. The smoke made me pretty nauseous and the scraps had formed some unsightly yellow powder on them. Few days later I read about Paw-Paw Wilson.

Zinc isn't a huge problem otherwise literally thousands of welders would be dying like flies it's really only an issue if you have other lung issues that can be exacerbated like COPD, the metal fume fever isn't good either. The other stuff like beryllium, cadmium and lead are NOT on friendly terms with the human body and so you really don't want to be huffing the fumes those coating put off.

No trade the only scrapyard in my area shreds any steel as soon as they get it. 

As for size its about 1inch round and 4 feet long and he has access to lots.  So disapointing that i cant use it.  But safety first and second and third.

Oooh $50/tn! I can get $35 IF I haul it to Anchorage. I had to pay to have a pickup hauled to the crusher and they're less than 2 miles from here. I have to admit after crushing and hauling to Anch the $70-$80 they'll get is just over break even if they're hulling a side dump load of cubes.

The real stinky part being the scrap yard has a single buyer contract and won't even let you look let alone buy anything. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Reminds me of a coal mine I knew that had a total output contract with a foreign company; but ifn you were to show up around lunch time with a free will offering a terrible industrial accident might occur where a front end loader would accidentally fill the bed of your pickup---no paperwork as they wanted to hush up the accident...Local folks had been buying coal there for generations and everyone local was not happy with the deal the absentee owners had made ...

• 3 years later...

So I have two old tables at my job that have steel table bases to hold them down as they are what industry calls high tops.  They are both 3ft round not solid has a pattern like vine or something to create gaps. Is this steel worth taking?

15 minutes ago, Gandalfgreen said:

my owner told me about them today

Your OWNER? Do you have a pink slip? The bill of sale isn't signed in blood is it? 

I do so love a good typo, ask around. You might want to type a little slower or I might start having too much fun. 

You'd almost undoubtedly be in the good taking them home. If they turn out to be unusable or worse there's the dumpster option.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty you noticed my horrible phone typing. Its something that I cant fix in my circle of friends they have learned my language and called it Wisethumbs say my thumbs have ther own minds. They all hate that they can read and understand some of the garbage I can send when really rambling. Have your fun with it we all do even I cant translate. 

Owner of the buisness I work at.

Unless that wasnt a dream.....

1 hour ago, Gandalfgreen said:

my owner told me about them today

49 minutes ago, Gandalfgreen said:

Owner of the buisness I work at.

You mean they didn make you sign the contract saying that they are allowed to control your life and that work comes before al else???

your lucky:P:D

M.J.Lampert