I Forge Iron

Time for a new apron

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice apron Vaughn, I like it. The apparent length had me for a moment but you're probably a few inches taller than Giovanni so it's right on YOU.

His shoulder straps are similar to the ones on mine but instead of buckling to the apron on the sides mine goes all the way around then buckles like a belt so the weight is carried on my hips rather than my shoulders. It also makes it all adjustable with one easy move. I like my split legs but on rare occasion they're catch on something on the inside. Never enough to trip me or cause harm but it can be annoying. I also specced mine in heavy leather, moose hide in fact but I used to do a LOT of disk grinder work and you need a little armor to catch the fragments of disintegrating blades.

Mine is smooth back and I like the looks of your dragon hide better.

Wear it in good health, price and value aren't the same thing I think you got good value.

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, Daswulf said:

... leather for the neck strap but you really have me thinking of trying to make a cross strap for it. 

If you don't have a cross-back strap system, you ain't in the game,  hoss!  There really isn't another option, and once you go with the cross-back straps, you'll smack yourself silly for ever thinking there was another way.  Promise!

You can go with a cheap, "make it work", kind of apron.  You can buy an old chair from the Salvation Army and turn it into an apron.  But the cross-back straps are the bee's knees.  There really isn't an alternative!  You don't have to go full-on custom like I did, but at least do yourself a favor and whip up some proper straps.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

His shoulder straps are similar to the ones on mine but instead of buckling to the apron on the sides mine goes all the way around then buckles like a belt so the weight is carried on my hips rather than my shoulders. It also makes it all adjustable with one easy move. I like my split legs but on rare occasion they're catch on something on the inside. Never enough to trip me or cause harm but it can be annoying. I also specced mine in heavy leather, moose hide in fact but I used to do a LOT of disk grinder work and you need a little armor to catch the fragments of disintegrating blades.

Mine is smooth back and I like the looks of your dragon hide better.

Wear it in good health, price and value aren't the same thing I think you got good value.

Frosty The Lucky.

Bless you, Frosty!

How long is your apron from top to bottom?

I used yours as a template of sorts.  While mine doesn't have a waist belt, that was intentional since the current apron I'm using doesn't require one.  I always found it bothersome, pulling my shirt up whenever I moved.

Like you, I opted for heavy leather that would take a blow form a disk grinder gone awry.  Better to be safe than sorry!  The last time I got caught by an angle grinder, it rolled right across my apron and grabbed hold of my t-shirt.  Scary, for sure, and it would have been a lot worse if there wasn't a good bit of leather between the two of us!

The leather is from a bull, which is fitting for a man of my stature. ;)

I can only hope that it allows me to forge to your level one day.  You're a rare breed and I'm honored to know you.

Here is a very bad photo of my apron fit. Sorry, trying out the timer on the phone for the first time. Like I said I like how it fits, and like the leather, but the straps need work. Sorry, just threw it on for a quick photo, been doing mechanical work and have my light weight welding jacket on for crawling around under the jeep. 

image.jpg

Too bad I am not closer to you. I could pull that Jeep wherever you needed it to go ;) I am trying to start the old FJ versus Jeep battle if it isn’t obvious! This is a pic of my FJ after I completed the blackout a couple years ago

AD5F3654-5A35-47C7-8A0F-E9B70FDE1D7C.thumb.jpeg.71b8de7a38b88faf7e16a1051bd3751f.jpeg

1 hour ago, VaughnT said:

Bless you, Frosty!

How long is your apron from top to bottom?

I used yours as a template of sorts.  While mine doesn't have a waist belt, that was intentional since the current apron I'm using doesn't require one.  I always found it bothersome, pulling my shirt up whenever I moved.

Like you, I opted for heavy leather that would take a blow form a disk grinder gone awry.  Better to be safe than sorry!  The last time I got caught by an angle grinder, it rolled right across my apron and grabbed hold of my t-shirt.  Scary, for sure, and it would have been a lot worse if there wasn't a good bit of leather between the two of us!

The leather is from a bull, which is fitting for a man of my stature. ;)

I can only hope that it allows me to forge to your level one day.  You're a rare breed and I'm honored to know you.

Collar bone to just below my knees.  I wear smooth top slip on boots doing hot work and long sleeves so I'm pretty safe from spatter and pinchoffs. Heck I don't wear it unless I'm doing something that puts a lot of hot sticky stuff or sharp debris in the air. Forge welding is a good time or as said disk grinding. Mind you I don't use cut off wheels in disk grinders if I can avoid it, they're too dangerous. Sooner or later one's going to get you if you use them often enough and by "get you" that means around your PPE. 

Oh the pocket with my cell phone in it was originally to hold a pack of smokes and a lighter. I like it better with the cell. :)

5aa9dcc901f9d_Apron02.jpg.e411128c7e744946aa2c43dfe8bd841e.jpg5aa9dcff60a87_Apron03.jpg.30df2bef322840b571c647e9b2bafef3.jpg

Ah, enough of the flattery! I'm just a guy with the gift of the gab.

Frosty The Lucky.

This is my apron, the "Y" straps are better for me (don't ask me y :) ) and the split front allows for holding stuff between my legs.  Paid $200 including a few litle extras. 

Leather is supplied by Weaver Leather, is Chrome tanned and 6 oz weight. Stitching is done with Kevlar and the quick release on the strap is top quality

Didn't want to add the leg straps, seems it would be too limiting particulalry if you want to crouch down.

I am now considering full leather long trousers and a short apron. Must find someone that makes leather pants first. I have my short lederhosen but I think they would be a bit too minimalist ... :)

I have to say that all forging apron are not adequate for welding, particularly if you are a serious welder and need to go into position.

Unless you are only doing little bench work, they are all way too low under the chin. My welding apron is all the way up and the helmet stops any sparks from getting over the edge and stops welding flash to your chest and neck. 

816561_e98a6db3b60a46eca0a22b6bee4db49b~816561_b89c21f35f064ac7953ae0d5cfdc5720~816561_2871f160f85947268431a1af0ab549b9.

I really like the catches Marc.  I have PPE for arc welding though my leather jacket fits over my apron nicely if I need another layer. It's been a while since I looked at welding leathers but you can or could buy leather welding pants here.

I'd like to wear your apron and see how the straps feel, I don't recall seeing the Y configuration before. Comfortable for a day's work?

Frosty The Lucky.

11 hours ago, DavidF said:

Too bad I am not closer to you. I could pull that Jeep wherever you needed it to go ;) I am trying to start the old FJ versus Jeep battle if it isn’t obvious! This is a pic of my FJ after I completed the blackout a couple years ago

Hey now, if you want to start the FJ vs. Jeep battle come on down after I get the trans. fixed and we can put em to the test. ;) This jeep has surprised even me with what it's made it through. Unfortunately my year had bad issues with the transmission so once that's fixed it should be a tank. 

4 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Hey now

I actually had a CJ7 I rebuilt three times. I love Jeeps. The reason I went to the FJ was because I needed five seatbelts and a shorter wheel base. The four door Jeep was too long. But the Jeep in the back of the shop caught my attention. I will probably pick another one up to rebuild. They are tanks and best of all, highly customizable!

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

I really like the catches Marc.  I have PPE for arc welding though my leather jacket fits over my apron nicely if I need another layer. It's been a while since I looked at welding leathers but you can or could buy leather welding pants here.

I'd like to wear your apron and see how the straps feel, I don't recall seeing the Y configuration before. Comfortable for a day's work?

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, I use a cheap leather welding apron for welding only, the sort you buy on ebay for $40 or so. 

I googled a lot of leather pants suppliers and 99% are fascion stuff, that is thin and soft and wouldn't last a day in the workshop. The exception is probably the German lederhosen that are made with very good quality leather and they have the option of long pants but they cost a bomb, starting at 400 euros. One thing I did like from the lederhosen cut is that some are high rise and are meant to be worn with braces or suspenders if you prefer. So now I am elaborating that perhaps for me, the ideal 'apron' would be long pants with bib and braces all in leather. Failing that, pants with a high rise, braces and no belt, and a short apron. I have to say that I never liked the feeling of the apron in front of my legs. It feels awkward like walking with long gumboots. 

The "Y" strap puts the weight of your apron more on the hips and less on your shoulders, and is less restrictive in turning, or so I think. You can come and visit anytime and try my apron :)

Or you can improvise a temporary strap for your apron with a Y configuration and see how it feels. 

PS

If you live in cold country you need an apron for your Jeep to keep it running warm. :P

If I'm welding and need leathers I wear my jacket. Long sleeve suede long overlap zipper inside and snaps on the outside. High collar snaps together and covers me to my chin. My welding shield overlaps and if it's a really spattery situation I have a shield with leather head ad neck covers. For REALLY bad badness welding I have a supplied air welding helmet.

On rare occasions I wear an apron welding but that's spattery bench work, otherwise cotton keeps the spatter off me just fine.

I'd have to completely reconfigure my apron straps to try the Y rig and my apron is really comfortable and unrestrictive now. Next time I'm in your neighborhood I'll drop by if you don't get over my way first. Hope you think to bring it along so I can see how it feels.

Googled it but don't see leather welder's pants or bib overalls. (the things you described as maybe desirable.) If you search "welder's leathers" Miller, Lincoln and Tillman are name I remember though there are lots I don't. I have the leather jacket with the collar that looks like a "turtle neck." Somewhere I have leather sleeves someone gave me and I used the heck out of on occasion. 

I used to have a farrier's leather apron I really liked at the anvil and bench welding and grinding. It's waist rides higher than the anvil's face on me so it caught spattering flux and the odds and bobs of HOT stuff that tends to fly off anvils.

I tend to really overheat when covered in leather so I wear as little as possible unless I need the armor.

You guys out there who need a leather apron might take a look at welding leathers online. They may not be REAL Blacksmith's aprons but they're reasonably priced do the job and you can find them at virtually any welding supply, even the big boxes. 

Whatever you do play safe, the craft can do you a mischief faster than you can feel the burn.

Frosty The Lucky.

My leather welding jacket is great and if I remember was around $50. Through my Cornwell tool dealer. With everything with too dealers tho,  it seems it's In one day and nonexistent the next. Have to be ready to jump on a deal with them and pass when it's not a good deal. Ugh.... image.thumb.jpg.be4f94b388bd84d746b9c0da6908a449.jpg