I Forge Iron

Nazel 4b finally made it.

This was Larry's 4b that had trouble half stroking without a blow off valve. I plan to have Mark Krause fix it one of these years.

I initially had more immediate plans for this, but life changes. Right now it will be stored and tweaked in my family shop until i pour a foundation for it at mine. In the mean time, its hard to not appreciate such an imposing figure.

Also it is crazy to think that in 2012, i joined this site and this world, and 5 years later i own a Nazel.

20170926_205225.jpg

IMG_20170926_201322_313.jpg

20170926_183227.jpg

IMG_20170926_195048_132.jpg

20170926_183456.jpg

IMG_20170926_201322_320.jpg

20170926_210633.jpg

IMG_20170926_212146_567.jpg

I saw this hammer on the FB Power hammer page, didn't I? I liked it very much then, but I must tell you, I like it even better when I see it here in the family :)

Great, great hammer! good luck with it. Wanna tell us what do you plan to use it for? I'm guessing not for "the lucky horseshoe" making...

Bests:

Gergely

Take note anyone moving a machine this big.

Our shop ceilings are 20-26ft high. When that truck with crane was moving the hammer and lifting over a 3' anvil, we still had limited clearance. Infact, the crne had room to lift it over the anvil and not much more.

If you happen to get a 4b, you will also find out that United Rental especially in rural areas will have a hard time renting you a 12,000# capacity forklift. They told me they would have to truck one in a few hours away and the cost was going tk be nuts. Not only that but they could not coordinate with their truck driver with my delivery driver, so i would have to rent it for extra time i wasnt using it. And this is a united rental we have been doing business with for over a decade.

The forklift rental was going to cost well over $1,000.

My local wrecker has a $1 million 75ton crane truck thats used to lift tractor trailers out of revines, and did this for me, over the course of 2 hours for $400. Of course we do a bit of business with them, but it was well worth it. 

Still, it was sketchy knowing if we were even going to be able to lift it over the anvil or not.

When i take this home, im pouring foundation first, setting hammer, then building new shop around it.

Then truck crane driver was also not new to moving big machinery with it. He showed me a picture he took earlier that day moving a 55,000# Trane A/C unit for a hospital, so my hammer was a toy, lol.

4b frame = 12,000#

4b anvil = 7,000#

I had simillar problems when shifting my massy from where I brought it, we had to lift it with the crane hook off centre on one side so it leaned over one way and had to use the "Flex" or spring in the roof for the last little bit of clearance. Then when it came time for install at my place using a Manitou mobile tele handler we had only 20mm or 3/4" clearance Cheers Beaver

Of course. I regularly experiment running a bloomery with Mark Green. Www.youtube.com/danielcauble

We run various ore. A very rich in Fe and all of ghe right minerals, limonite we re-scavange/dig from the original ore pile under dirt and trees at a civil war finery furnace. 

We have a magnetite field we have mined from, but it is much more labor intensive, and now that we have access to a clean magnetite pile in upstate New York, we dont mine it any more.

We recently acquired about 400-500# of specular hematite from our good friend and swordsmith Jesvs. This stuff is in the high 90 percentile Fe.

A lot of guys from parts of europe send us a smelts worth of ore from time to time to run and test out for them, and provide data.

We produce several hundred pounds of bloomery a year. 

In the coming years Mark is going to retire and run smelting classes. I hope by then this hammer and the new shop will be ready, and we can do a few at my place, and pull bloom straight from bloomery to this huge Nazel dies, and light taps. Talking to all of my euro buds, bloomery is suitable under the hammer, you just need big dies, and these are huge. I have worked over 100 pounds of orishigane in 1-3 poind increments exclusively under my small 50# mechanical, along with many bloom quarters (4-5#) with great success. Its all in knowing how hard to hit, where to hit and when to hit that comes with practice. We make so much that i no longer treat it like gold, and give myself a chance to push it to the limits.

I'll have to measure. Not quite that long. From memory i think the bottom die is 10" long, and maybe 5" wide. The top die is just about the same. I'll measure later this afternoon.

Your 300# would work an entire bloom gloriously.

Indeed. It will be a monster for tooling. Larry gave me the tool holder that wraps around the die for it. Since it will be sitting for awhile, i really want to fabricate some quick changing kiss blocks like Phil uses under his 5cwt Massey.