I Forge Iron

Jeep & Willy's & Lovers of old vehicles

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few pics of my 66 CJ5 it has a V6 Dauntless engine. I take the top off for the summer and it sleeps all winter I just haven't gotten around to the top yet. 

15275282081902117117248.thumb.jpg.79344bb63bce8b979848c4d5826482a1.jpg

15275282686901160851097.thumb.jpg.aeb6d87371744fd1578cfd4ab8da478a.jpg

I know she's not pretty but the kids love her and has enough power to shred u joints on command.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good getaway jeep afternoon trip with my fine lady. Grandma watched our young one while we went down to a spot in WV. that we kind of frequent. Absolutely beautiful in the mountains today. 

Look at all the anvils out here!

I uh, brought a couple home to test out. More on that tomorrow maybe. 

IMG_09062018_225429.jpg

IMG_09062018_225411.jpg

IMG_09062018_225349.jpg

IMG_09062018_225327.jpg

IMG_09062018_225307.jpg

IMG_09062018_225253.jpg

IMG_09062018_225239.jpg

IMG_09062018_225222.jpg

IMG_09062018_225209.jpg

IMG_09062018_225155.jpg

IMG_09062018_225134.jpg

IMG_09062018_225110.jpg

Nope, I didnt. I was just moving him along his was so I didn't have to worry about Elizabeth. 

Looks like a Copperhead to me but the pattern is just slightly different from what im used to seeing. Thankfully it wasnt aggressive and moved along. 

The Legendary World War II Jeep Had A Dangerous Engineering Flaw. The problem with this system has to do with a phenomenon called “axle wrap,” the tendency of a leaf-sprung axle to twist under braking or acceleration.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54_6GaYJvWI  

As the driver stabs the brakes, the Jeep’s axle rotates towards the front of the vehicle, and it wants to take the bellcrank along with it. Since the drag link—which connects to the frame-mounted steering box on one end, and the bellcrank on the other—doesn’t move unless the driver turns the steering wheel, the bellcrank will have a tendency to want to rotate under braking as the axle twists. This will put the driver’s side tie rod in compression, and the passenger’s side tie rod in tension, thus turning the Jeep to the driver’s side, potentially into oncoming traffic.

Get the paint right, and in the right place.

A government document, describes how the paint works, and how it should be applied to the five-point star (the star was the “National Symbol of all motor vehicles assigned to tactical units” per the War Department’s 1942 document AR 805-5). When the national symbol is located in a position visible to the driver, the space between the points of the star will be painted with paint, liquid vesicant detector, M5, to form a circle around the star.

The U.S. army came up with olive drab M5 Liquid Vesicant Detector Paint a yellowish-brown color. The paint was brushed onto various surfaces, and dried within five hours. After that, for the next month, the paint would turn red when met with a liquid mustard agent. Some sources online state that the paint is effective at detecting not just mustard gas (which, it’s worth noting, isn’t actually dispersed as a gas but rather as liquid droplets), but also Lewisite vesicant and even nerve agents.

The things you can learn on a blacksmithing site. LOL

If the You Tube listed in Glenn's message is the right one there is something wrong here.  That is a picture of a much more modern jeep than a WWII it appears to have a gas tank hanging down behind the axle, All the early ones military and civilians had a 5 gal tank under the drivers seat.  the springs set up shown also is not from the early jeeps much later. 

I broke a number of bell cranks on our jeeps ,95% of the time in real rough hard off road driving or using in the fields.  I was harrowing with one in a 20 acres field, large for our area and was busy watching the harrows and drove up on a stone wall and broke one.  my Dad not being happy over this esp. the time lost made me walk out across the field 3 evenings carrying by hand all tools and parts needed to change it  Radiator had to come out save the antifreeze for reuse.  Never had the right tools to start with so back across the field again and all tools had to be taken to the shop every night. He got his point across and it was 2 weeks pay for the parts. 

.Our jeeps never had power enough to twist and break a bell crank even with  2 hamsters on the wheel under the hood and our brakes were always so rusted and full of mud we did better throwing out an anchor to try to stop.  Thinking tonight that our '50 jeep had a power take off on it that was the one I was harrowing with and our '55 had a 3 point hitch on it.  They worked everyday right along side the tractors. 

I'm going to have to see more evidence on this axle twist broken bell crank problem I think. I can believe the V6 jeeps maybe  but the 4's??

Just my opinion with some experience with the Willy  jeep. 

The video was chosen to show the “axle wrap,” the tendency of a leaf-sprung axle to twist under braking or acceleration. Other videos did not show axle warp clearly at all.

The site self corrects within a post or two. Someone will catch you, and call you on it. You can not get much past a blacksmith (grin).

GM discovered that placing the shocks  for and aft that it would greatly reduce axle wrap. Other things such as how high the eyes are effects antidive and anti squat as well. Their are other things such as wether the steering box is for or aft of the axle, steering linage length, low or high linckagemetc that can effect suspension performance on live axle suspensions. Camber and toe are acualy isues for rest ends as well as front axles. Lots of detailes get overlooked when lifting and modifying supentions. Even increasing tire size and weight can effect shock choices, not to mention shock length. Mild suspension and body lifts combined with cut out fenders and taller tires are certainly a beter option.

• 6 months later...

I bought this unimog almost 20 years ago from military surplus stock in Europe and had it shipped over to Maryland. It is titled and runs well.  It has a very flexible suspension with all coil springs That allows good traction in rough terrain and also you can difflock any axel or both together. It has a 6 cylinder Mercedes gas engine and has 6 speeds forward and two in reverse.

The wheels are driven by portal axels that raise the axels up to give amazing ground clearance. 

IMG_0226.jpeg

Kozzy, a lot of M-715's  became brush rigs. I missed out on a winch for one from my local FD, but they had already "scrapped" it... Mine has 28,000 original miles. Does yours still have the Tornado 6 or was it converted to a Chebby 350?

The Cummins conversions are interesting. The 5.9 is what I usually see , but a B4, or even the new 2.8 Cummins crate engine would be fun to have.

I didnt know there were so many here with a case of the willys! I've suffered this terrible affliction for far too long. Never had a cj. I've always had trucks. My first was a '47 pu with a  Chevy 283. I got this around '80.

It taught me how to rebuild transmissions. It took me 3 to figure out that whoever installed it used the short input shaft. At first I thought the ease of bolting the tyranny to the engine was a willys plus!!  Then I learned there was a longer input shaft and on to the next lession. Yup, but I did learn to rebuild trannys. 

My latest two are another '47 and a '62.  Other trucks. Both with pto, overdrive, and winch. Neither run at the moment.

I rebuilt the '62 complete up to bodywork. Then went to Denver to do a demo, and was in an accident. Alas I bent the frame. This was around '01. I had a '47 that i got a sweet deal on, and a great story came with it.

So in a moment of dire straights,, a friend helped me, or should i say i stood out of the way and did the grunt work, whilst he mounted the 230 Into the '47 and he got the super hurricane in trade. So the '47(below) has a '62 grill, hood, and 230 engine. 

Ive hauled the '62 around with me on this 10 year journada and now can start figuring out what I'm going to do with it.

Ive rebuilt the '47 hybrid from the ground up,  but not a "frame up" rebuild. I was setting up the rear end ( Dana 53) when I discovered a powerloc for it, so back on blocks. For some unknown willys reason, I need two small parts to make it work and pretty easily blacksmith/mini_lathe made. I picked up a '95 Cherokee about the same time for $500, and the ole girl patiently awaits. That was 4 years ago.

Now that I'm on my own ground again, this truck is a priority,,, in the near future.

They grey air cleaner is off a 230 from a '65 or so fire truck. Bought off Ebay. I couldn't see what carb it came off of. Alas it's from a single barrel. I can do an intake manifold swap, or forge an adapter. It will be a tight fit, but should work. There was an original oil bath air filter on this engine, but in a weak moment i let it go to my friend who did the swap. 

I have a single lever dual pto and am looking for the parts that mount on the rear bumper. I just missed one on ebay. I'm plannig a rear winch and outrigger. Then I'm set to snag and drag logs.

I spun a rear axle on my first pu back in '80 and used it to make my first hammer. I also built a removable steel rack for it out of 1/2"×2" and 3/4" square. Of course i used all traditional joinery on it. Punched and drifted holes and tenons. Alas this rack did not survive the Journada.

I'm just waiting on warmer weather or spring. Then make two parts, have the seats reupholsterd and do a complete go thru for loose anything and,,, back on the road. 

Looks like the winch is hidden behind stuff from my move

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

On 12/28/2018 at 2:36 PM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Kozzy, a lot of M-715's  became brush rigs. I missed out on a winch for one from my local FD, but they had already "scrapped" it... Mine has 28,000 original miles. Does yours still have the Tornado 6 or was it converted to a Chebby 350?

The Cummins conversions are interesting. The 5.9 is what I usually see , but a B4, or even the new 2.8 Cummins crate engine would be fun to have.

Tornado, 12V conversion so it isn't perfectly original.  Could use new valve guides but by the time you chase all the fixits to turn one into a better working engine, that SBC 350 conversion starts to look appealing.  And of course, it vacuums up gas like it was still 15 cents a gallon.  Original PTO winch would be nice but dang, those are getting to be wallet emptiers these days.

New member but somewhat regular lurker here. Just happened upon this thread. So... I have been on the hunt for an old Willy's for quite a while. I go through phases. This past year was the worst case of it I have ever had, and my family made arrangements so that I could pick one up. I am still hoping to find the miracle "oh, I have had this M-38A1 hiding in my barn for 50 years and it still runs great" but... reality says probably not. 

I have had a couple of chances, but nothing 1. in my price range, and 2. nothing within my ability to fix. I am want one to settle into learning how to fix this or that, not wanting to be in the deep end from the word GO. BUT... About 5 months ago I was talking to a guy who was selling a 59(ish) CJ-5. It still had the battery box behind the hood and the cutout on the driver side. This was just before they removed the box n smoothed out the cowell. But it was essentially a 31A1. It even had a aluminum hard top. I have never seen something like this on a Jeep, so I am thinking it was after market. So... I had been talking to the owner through the week, and he was telling me about the issues and the things he had fixed. And while there would have been some issues (there always is) it would have been a great base to start with right from the start. I got more photos, and did something you should never do... I fell in love with the thing. I was snooping the thing in photoshop just trying to get every last drip of info about it and what it might need, or what it had, or or or... I didn't say it to him... but I wanted it BAD. It was Thursday, I agreed to meet him Saturday morning in the town he lived in (about 2 hours away). If I decided to buy it I had lined up a buddy with a trailer to come pick me (and it) up. I woke up early that Saturday to go "take a look". I called him as I was pulling out of the driveway. He then informed me "Oh, I sold it last night". While I get it, he had someone with cash in hand sitting right in front of me, but dang, he could have at least called and let me keep my Saturday sleep in. More, I grew up with the concept of giving someone the right of first refusal. I guess that doesn't exist any longer. I was heart broken. I know... I know... I should not ever fall in love with a vehicle before you buy it. It's like... what? Rule #1. But it was one that all my little tick boxes had been checked off and I was all in. My jeep needs settled down a little bit again and I moved on to other things. I will circle back around again. It's more of a matter of when. I have this blacksmithing desire that has popped back up, and it's the current hotness. One day though... one day.

Some people still honor sales.  I bought an anvil awhile back that I found on Craigslist. I was dinking around on a Sunday and doing random searches when it popped up for $100.I called him, and yes, he still had it. I asked him if he could email me a picture. I get a picture of a 138# Peter Wright in pretty decent shape, and tell him SOLD, but it will take me an hour and a half to drive in to where he is. I jump in the car and get going. About 10 miles down the freeway he calls and asks me where I am at, I tell him, and he says, OK I have a guy here waving money in my face, I'll tell him it is sold.....Huge sigh of relief on my end.

What is your Jeep budget? I have seen a few locally in the $1,300-$2,500 range. Runners, but no beauty queens. You can fly out for a weekend in Fabulous Las Vegas Nevada, and drive it back home :D

• 1 month later...

As requested, some pics of my little hoopty. 

1970 Kaiser Jeep XM818. Which has seen more than a few modifications. Started as a stock MV, but I've a sickness of never leaving anything stock. 

Cummins nhc-250. Bigger injectors & fuel button.

Bed from the M35a2 we had. 

14.00-20 XML on combat rims.

Manual T-case over the factory auto.

The original t-138 transfer case ate itself. So I shoe horned a t-1138 case from a M923a1 in. So instead of a 50mph truck, I chicken out at 65mph. Will probably switch out the rubber to 395/85/r20 to get some torque back. It sucks in high gear & high range. In low / granny low, he'll still pull trees out of the ground on a slow day. 

Who doesn't need a 10 ton wench on their truck. 

Gotta replace the master cylinder & a wheel cylinder in the next week or so. Was a lot nicer in the army. I drove & broke em, and some other fool got to fix them. 

116_0772.jpg

IMG_20170916_115904.jpg

a72978164406ab5564bd91b899058232.jpg

1006181457.jpg