I Forge Iron

Jeep & Willy's & Lovers of old vehicles

In another thread it was suggested that a thread about Jeeps both old & newer be started here. Well OK it's here and we love pictures too.

This old Willy's Overland is a military M38A1 1953 Korean War Era. Bought it in an auction in '89 or '90 and restored it mechanically. It is titled & licensed and driven regularly mostly for around the place.

100_1870-1.jpg.5cade8b8a70638fe658c238833684d13.jpg

100_1869-1.jpg.316dc86b2c6cc84d9e2767062ed3f561.jpg

100_1871-1.jpg.ef38aa98f88755d2818fc2c78ad4b566.jpg

I will look for some pictures of two old Jeeps that I was planning to restore later.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first Jeep was a '68 Wagoneer. It was a virtual tank and actually saved my wife's life. Some idiot turned in front of her and caused a 50 mph head on collision, if she would have been in a lighter vehicle she would have been killed. The poor Jeep was totaled. This one is not mine but looks just like it.

400x-1.jpg

I have no pictures of them as they were just every day wheels to live with and work in Vermont,  but I was fortunate to have grown up with Jeeps.  my dad's Aunt was a very early Jeep Dealer and he worked for her.  2 of the Canaday Bros. of Ohio, Willy's owners had summer homes in our town.  My first driving experience was a '46 cj we used as a service vehicle at my Dad's Dealership then came a '50 that we used to haul manure out from under a large livery stable then came a long line of many Jeeps all yrs 15-20 of them. until about '88.  When cleaning out my folks house a few yrs ago we found some early brochures for jeeps one showing all the accessories that was offered. 3 pt hitches, power take off, rear belt pulley and other farming equip. 

Most people don't know it but during WWII 100s of Jeeps were flown into combat in all major airborne operations inside combat gliders and landed behind enemy lines.  I know this as my Dad was one of these Pilots who flew these glider missions.

I Always have wanted another Jeep but with Fiat owning them now and I've heard they are looking to sell it, it isn't going to happen unless I find an original somewhere I can afford.  To me the Jeep is as American as Apple Pie. 

I've just spent the weekend with a fully restored example that I think was once in the employ of the Airbourne Forces lateWWII era, probably the oldest motor at the show.

Never owned a Jeep but do have one of it's offspring.... a 1977 series 3 Land Rover.

After I had the '53 M38A1 up & running, I found this '48 CJ2A for $800 but it was missing the engine. I was pretty sure it could be restored without too much work.

185221-500x375.jpg.1a08813d5f6c77df04fa51f90a8c853d.jpg

16129-50x50.jpg.52e7a2424920651c87ea7cce010b86df.jpg

A couple of years later this basket case '51 CJ3A showed up and I bought it for $600 for the engine, which I completely rebuilt.

572648-500x375.jpg.bf025fdd16c2b83bac88128c8cbb0383.jpg

Sadly life and health issues got in the way so I decided to sell both to another local Jeep re-builder for what I had in both of them + a small profit for rebuilding the Go-Devil engine.

Now that I'm retired and my health has improved I wish I still had them.:(

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The orange ( looks pink with the old paint faded) one is my 66 cj5 with the dauntless v6 225 engine. It needs the wiring finished, some brake work and other suspension checkup to get roadworthy. It has some 02 cavalier seats in it to replace whatever horrible monstrosity of seats the previous owner had in it. The drivers side rear wheelhouse is notched to allow the seat to move back further so I can fit in it. lol. 

The other one is Fubar. It is a hodgepodge of different year parts. I bought it pretty much as is only having changed the wheels. It also has the dauntless v6. I was told my the seller that a local lady used to mud/ dirt race it in the 80's. It's only a field beater and fun as all get out. The engine blew up after the first day I got it running. Found a replacement and it runs better then ever. Right now it needs a transmission rebuild. It's one of those weld it up as it breaks kinda jeeps. Yeah, that's a beer keg gas tank. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nugg3t, Those are /were some awesome jeeps. Great pictures too. Lots of fun! I'm sure you'll eventually get another.

I've had my daily driver in places I probably shouldn't have (including in an old mine in the hills of WV.) but it's been great fun. Once I get the transmission redone in Fubar it will be getting hauled up to my friends place for some fun in the mountains. Gatta remember a tool kit. ;)

Thanks Das,

The CJ7 I got with a fresh reman'ed Jasper 258 in it with a rebuilt drivetrain (T-176/D300). 1,500 miles on a restore that had been done about a decade earlier and garaged. Bought it from a rich elderly couple in Emerald Isl. I built it into a functional do-all wheeler/DD. It came with the CJ D44/D30 W/T combo.  I soon regeared and built/locked a set of D44 waggy axles front and rear for the strength and added width since it was lifted and on 37's. I also took the Np435 (Ford 4spd w/ granny) that I had adapted into my Maroon wagoneer and installed it in the CJ7 as well. The wheelbase is stretched a little and suspension is outboarded on the Cj frame. Tire carrier is home brew as well.  This thing climbed and crawled like a mountain goat and still would run 75mph on the highway just fine but became more of a DD than I wanted after I sold my bike. I was putting 40+ miles a day on it and burned off the 37's driving to work with only a handful of really awesome wheeling trips on them.  I stepped down to 35's and drove it for a while that way but couldn't justify keeping it since my three kids are getting bigger.

The maroon grand wagoneer i bought while stationed in San Diego back in '07. 2nd owner-family to the 1st PO. bone stock with a worn out motor and a terrible case of wag-sag.  Not a bit of rust on it and the body was perfect. Lifted it and threw on some 33's and ran that way for several years. Bought the white '88 waggy one for the fresh AMC 360 Napa crate motor it had in it for $700 and parted it out. Built the motor up and swapped  it into the maroon '89. Then I went crazy...  stretched it, locked it, converted the 727 auto to the Np435 manual. That was all custom as the later model wags didn't have option for manual trans and the floor pans didn't have any knock-outs. sorting out the linkage took some good math lol.  The thing would do 4 wheel drive burnouts on the street but was SUPER thirsty for what it could do! I'll never build another AMC v8 again for that reason. Inefficient as all get out for the power it puts to the wheels. You can build a Chevy or Ford motor of similar displacement for about 75% of the cost in parts and have about 25% more power using the same amount of fuel. I mean if I'm pulling 8mpg, I might as well have the big-block power to go with it.

Yeah, I'll build up another one someday but honestly I'm having fun playing with my two 7.3 powerstrokes and they spend a lot more time driving than broke in the garage. That leaves me time to do other things with the wife/kids or messing around with metal.

Nugg3t, it is rough daily driving with large tires. I have 35s on my 08. One thing on my list is to get a spare set of rims and tires to swap out when I know I won't be off road. 

The AMC v8s also have oiling issues( that can be fixed) I picked one up to rebuild for an 83 cj5 I plan to build from the ground up but have been thinking of just going with a Chevy 350 instead. That build is years off now so lots of time before that is even touched. 

Next main jeep project is getting the 66 on the road. Somehow this forging stuff keeps getting in the way. ;) 

On 4/23/2018 at 7:56 PM, Daswulf said:

hauled up to my friends place for some fun in the mountains.

A friend of mine started a Jeep trail/rock climbing place about 3 miles south of town. I've yet to get my M38A1 out there to see what it will do. Around the place it will climb a rough barked tree but I doubt it would compete with the real rock climbers some of the gang have.

https://www.facebook.com/Wheelin-World-Off-Road-and-Camping-180926298603002/

20 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

I've yet to get my M38A1 out there to see what it will do. Around the place it will climb a rough barked tree but I doubt it would compete with the real rock climbers some of the gang have.

An M38A1 with a good driver picking lines can go about anywhere. Plus the cool factor or those things can't be beat.  

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:21 AM, ThomasPowers said:

(must be what we sound like to outsiders when we get to talking smithing....)

LOL!! yeah man.  It's like being in a Southern California Starbucks. It's like a language of it's own. I'm all, "I just want a coffee...?"

• 3 weeks later...

My CJ7 story started last October (2017).  My neighbor's house was pretty much surrounded by chainlink fence with about 80 posts buried in at least 2 bags, each, of Redi-Mix concrete.  He had taken down the fence, but the posts were a problem.  I used my tractor's 3-point to pull the posts.  When finished we were standing in front of his shop and I saw this dusty 1980 CJ7 in the back of the building with things leaning on it and piled on it.  He said it had been there for about 6 years, had a 1998 fiberglass tub, OK powertrain and if I wanted it I could have it.  We towed it a few hundred yards to my shop and the process started.

One could stick a fist thru the frame, the brake lines were rusted toast...I've replaced the frame with a 1984 almost rust-free frame (coated it with POR-15), new brake lines, rebuilt p/s pump, patched the gas tank, sanded out and repainted the body parts, new wheels, etc, etc. I still have to rebuild the steering gear, but spring happened, so the gardens had to be tilled and fenced (dang deer).  Meanwhile I had this 2005 Ural sidecar motorcycle gathering dust in the back of my shop.

I got the carbs sorted out, cleaned off the dust and dirt, installed a winch (Yes, a winch on a motorcycle !!) and got it back on the road.  It's 2WD and will go almost ANYWHERE, especially with a wife who will push on occasion and the winch (let's see, a winch on the front, the winch can be switched to the back and a wench in the sidecar...life is good !!)

DSCN0336.JPG

DSCN0341.JPG

DSCN0337.JPG

DSCN0338.JPG

DSCN0340.JPG