I Forge Iron

Nail guns suck. Graphic Picture Warning!!! Stay alert.

Judson Yaggy

When I don't have smithing work I do timber framing projects and project manage residential construction gigs. Sometimes that means putting on a tool belt and leading a crew.  And sometimes bad things happen.  Be careful with ANY power tool folks!

The ER doc (after looking at the x-ray) said I couldn't have shot myself in a better place.  Missed the bone by 2mm, missed the blood vessels, missed the ligaments, missed the nerve.  I was back to hammering the next day.  The nail riccoched off a knot and skimmed off a stud, flew 14.5 inches across open air, and found my thumb that was NOT in line with the original shot.  Sometimes even if you are being careful bad things happen!

IMG_2128.thumb.jpg.c91807e9ad6feae1fe1f485aaa9edfca.jpg

Looks like a passload 16d. Good nails for building but not so much for finger inserts :) I had one myself one day in my left hand bird finger from very similar corcumstances. My finger was right there (a couple inches away from the nailer) and not as far as yours. The part that hurts the worst is when it's pulled out. 

Yeah, that's why they should heat it to yellow before pulling it, you'll never notice the tug. 

Good shot, missed the important stuff! Did you buy a lottery ticket? I get a kick out of the shadow behind your thumb, one observer looks like s/he's hiding. It's not even a real bleeder, still . . . 

From what I hear Galvanized ring shanks hurt the worst no matter where they get you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nice spot Mike, Paslode 16d. 

Frosty, the shadows were from the ring of 5 guys all clustered around taking photos with their phones!

That sounds like a martial arts book title! "Photos from the ring of five clustered guys shadows!"

Oh and for those who didn't already know, Paslode is the phonetic spelling of what happens if you nail bone. :blink:

Frosty The Lucky.

A friend of mine lost an eye to a nail that hit a knot and turned into his face. The nail was bent and was only able to do that trick because it was a C nail for furniture with a very small head. ... and because he did not have safety glasses on. 

Framing nails can do that too and with much more power, but they usually do so because you don't aim them right and don't put pressure on the gun to make the sharp end bite in the timber. Can happen to anyone and is one reason I don't lend any of my nail guns. My son in law came out of an operation last Sunday to repair his forearm cut with a 9" grinder and a cutting disk whilst building a fence. He is a fireman and not a tradesman. 

21761520_362265714214491_639110233855781

We had a carpenter that frequented the bar I used to bounce. Everyone called him 16d. apperantly he was nailing pickets on a porch rail. So he was leaning against the inside rail wile nailing pickets on the outside, nail went threw the picket and nailed his manhood to his thy. Hurts just typing this. 

A friend of mine lost an eye to a nail that hit a knot and turned into his face. The nail was bent and was only able to do that trick because it was a C nail for furniture with a very small head. ... and because he did not have safety glasses on. 

When I go onsite or walk into the shop, the first thing I do before even getting out of the truck or turning on the lights is put on a good set of safety glasses.  Second thing is put on the earplug necklace.  Only then am I ready to face the day.  

We had a carpenter that frequented the bar I used to bounce. Everyone called him 16d. apperantly he was nailing pickets on a porch rail. So he was leaning against the inside rail wile nailing pickets on the outside, nail went threw the picket and nailed his manhood to his thy. Hurts just typing this. 

Ouch ... probably a T nailer that cracked the picket and the head had no hold so kept on going.  Most common accident is to left hand holding a noggin in place whilst firing the gun through the stud. Nail guns are great and a time saver. I have over 10 different nail guns and staplers but I treat then with the same respect I have for real guns. 

Still in the accident stakes, the humble grinder has a huge advantage. 

Funny I've had a sudden influx of breath during a nail gun incident...  My old boss---back in the mid 1980's who would throw tools told me that when he was in college and working summers he was once reroofing an old barn in Colorado and was installing heavy decking---snow load you know.  Well anyway to speed things up he had tied up the safety on his nail gun and ended up nailing himself to the decking.  To vent his spleen he grabbed the nearest object and threw it as hard as he could off the roof only then realizing that he had thrown the only hammer in reach off.  He had a considerable wait till someone got close enough that he could ask them to find the hammer and bring it up to the roof so he could pull the nail.  Many years later he still would throw tools when frustrated---slow learner I would guess...