I Forge Iron

If I had half a brain, I'd be dangerous

Ohio

4elements, you know, that TripTik of historical smithies could be a photo book or even a documentary. Call it, "Run Like You're on Fire," or something (that's a joke; it needs a way better title) and get images or footage of each smithy and interviews of the people who work there, featuring some nightmare stories, like worst injury and most annoying visitor. I've got it---"Smiths Gone Wild," only no one's allowed to remove their clothing. Just, no.

For some laughs, you could intercut the footage with smith folklore given by drunk people, like "Drunk History," for example, someone reciting "John Henry" while imbibing. I smell a hit. Smells sorta like Everett.

Frosty, lookee here, a vast array of RV choices for Deb to consider. BTW, I know Everett pretty well. My doc is about the Everett Massacre. Took 15 years to make. It's called (link to trailer for some shameless self-promotion) VERONA. Coming to an online platform on 5 December.

Edited by Ohio
typo---stupid fat fingers

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW, I know Everett pretty well. My doc is about the Everett Massacre. Took 15 years to make. It's called (link to trailer for some shameless self-promotion) VERONA. Coming to an online platform on 5 December.

That looks very interesting; I shall await its release with great anticipation.

Oh, well if you have the facilities next door, that's even better - never mind working outside the shop. From Gig Harbor, well, Longview is just a nice Sunday drive through the country side, if you need any tools from the swap meet to add to your collection.

Frosty, I'll have to take a closer look at the top of the capitol - I work just across the street.

Okay, seems like we have a hot item going here, something like the "Roadside Geology" or an "Atlas Gazeteer" (No idea what that actually means) based on blacksmiths in America, maybe include Canada if they ask nice. :rolleyes: If you've never heard of it the "Roadside Geology" books are travel books, maps, basic facilities, etc. aimed at folk who like to check out geological features. You can follow a route or make your own. The "MIlepost" is a mile by mile guide to Alaska. 

Including local color, legends, wild stories, video and GPS tours would be a treat, I'd buy a copy just because. I understand why the shameless self promotion, you're volunteered!

I'm afraid those RV: model years OLD, mileage, high! and prices, you're KIDDING! Make an Anchorage buy a given. Rental companies here typically replace units after 3 years or 40k miles for around $50k> this time of year. Our tourist season is short so the good deal season is equally short and now. I appreciate the thought though, I'd much rather fly down and take a Leisurely cruise back home but we'd have to at least break even. 

"Verona" trailer is watched, even though I HAD to subscribe to Vimeo. . . Now I'm wondering how many relatives on each side I have. Seriously I have fractional cousins removed some number of times that pioneered the Pac NW from the beginnings. I don't think any were with Louis and Clark but not long after. Millwrights, loggers, LOTS of loggers, Rail Roaders, miners, shipwrights, Shippers, Sailors, On and on. There are of course stories about cattle and horse rustling and lawmen hunting them. 

Makes me wish my Uncles and Dad were still alive, they would've been children at the time and if we had family involved probably would've heard. Best I can do is look at the names of those involved and try matching to family names on one of those family tree sites. ARGHHHH. Oh well, I wasn't doing anything anyway. :rolleyes:

I'll keep an eye out come December for the full length production. I'll let the family know too.

Is this a wide ranging forum or what?

Frosty The Lucky.

I did not volunteer. Did not, did not, did not, nyah nyah, I can't hear you. Be a funny show, though. I was once approached by a suit with a deal at Bravo about another doc I did. He wanted me to turn it into a series based on small family businesses that were kind of unusual or the last of their kind. My doc was about a guy (he was 73 then) still working in the family business as a diesel machinist. They rebuilt engines that basically blowed up. It's a pretty good 1/2-hour show and I was interested in the series but the suit was...ehhh, let's just say his concept a a fair percentage had the decimal point in the wrong place.

The machinist finally "retired" when he cut his schedule down to going in 3 days a week in his 80s. He's 93 now and not doing great. I should also mention that one of my proudest moments was when he showed me how to use a micrometer really fast and then asked me to measure something. I got it right. He offered me a job---and he meant it. But I was launching my fashionable and exciting career in the arts so I had to pass.

Anyway...those RVs aren't OLD. They're gracefully vintage. Geez, get with it. Of course, if you were really and truly rugged, you'd just use a tarp and a stick, like real men.

If you find anyone in the family involved in the Massacre, let me know. Stage 2 for that project is an expansive website to house all my original research. One goal is to see if we can find any family of those involved. I did find some of the families and I did convince them to go on camera, but the most are just lost.

Anyway, thanks all for the warm welcome. Much appreciated.

You misspelled "YA!" twice Darlin. Ya has no N prefix, Ja is actually the correct selling.

Yeah, Bravo has as much legitimacy as TLC or CNN anymore. People who actually DO the work are peons not high paid mid level management or worse, salesmen. You should've offered to do a Bravo Mockumentary and offer him the star role with the decimal moved a bit farther to the right. Work it right and he'd have to pay you. Salesmen can be such suckers.

By use a mic fast, you mean "read" it fast, right? Any one can screw one down on a thing fast . . . TOO fast usually, but most people can't read a vernier scale at all anymore. How much you want to bet he had you measure a "Joe block" because he couldn't read a vernier anymore? I have to use my close up specs and a LOT of light to read to a thousandth. I bought a "close out store" digital readout caliper because I couldn't see well enough anymore. I'm using no name $20.00 calipers instead of the Starrets, Lufkins or other crazy high quality instruments Dad left me. 

Speaking of old machinist tricks, Dad taught me to read and properly use calipers and mics at a really young age because a kid 8 yrs. can see and interpolate close enough to build for NASA.  Even when I was in my 20s I could read the totalizer on the gas pumps from inside the office. The boss could hardly read them squinting through the pumps face.

Young eyes, I'm hoping in a couple years I'll be able to buy a pair. Time's coming and quickly. :D

Naw, those are private sales. Folks hoping to recoupe as much as possible, proper maint is really spendy and private owners almost never keep as on top of it as called for. A Rental company spends more cleaning their units than most people spend servicing them. You could eat off the engines I looked at and they were all 2016 models though there was one 2015 but no way do we want a 31' RV. The 27'Q we were looking at has 41,000 miles and asking $47,000.

Done the tarp thank you very much. You have my hearty permission to call me a wuss if we're ever in the same campground I'll think of you as I have another Baily's and coffee watching a movie or checking Iforge and email. 

I'll shoot my cousins an email and see if anybody still around knows anything about the Verona. 

Igloo in Everett? I don't know what Igloo really means but the native kids giggle and look like you just said a dirty word when you say it in the villages. The Inupiat call them Ice Houses. A snow cave is warm though, 28-32 f. no matter how cold ambient is all you need is about 10" of snow or ice and you're snug. The worst thing is being dripped on.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nah, he could see fine. Still can. It was a test. And I was ok with that because it happens on every film project---somebody always sets up some kind of challenge. I don't mind it when a person I'm filming is challenging me, that's part of why I do the work, but it annoys the crap out of me when it's about film production and post-production gear. And often they get it totally wrong. 

I could go on a Frosty-style rant about this, but I will refrain. I've got a ton of stuff to get done today and I best use my energy elsewhere.

He's right Denise, Stevens Pass has to be on fire to look worse than Everett on it's best day. Surprisingly snug sleeping encased in snow isn't it? I had to take my light bags to be comfortable in a snow cave, ice house. The natives used them in hunting camps like tents, nobody "lived" in them, that was a Hollywood thing.

I'm with you, Re. idjits testing you, especially when they don't know anything. Have you seen the many references to Dunning Kellog? Wonderful articles, we've all noticed the effect but they describe it so well. The closest I've ever come to a film production crew is one of the guys in the club, he's a film maker. 

I shot a couple emails off to relatives earlier, one bounced I'll get good contact from her Sister. It'll be interesting to know if we're connected to Bloody Sunday. I'll have to shoot an email to my Brother's widow, he was into geneology his last decade or so. There might be something in his notes. He would've loved your doc.

Frosty The Lucky.

I live forty-five minutes from Stevens. I used to ski up there before my left knee got cranky. I've seen it ugly, like when all the city slickers rush up there on a Saturday and it's bumper to bumper then someone spins out and blocks the road because who needs to chain up?

And if you want to talk about fire, how about the Everett tire fire? Smelly and ugly---but it has fire, so there's that.

Yeah, I'm familiar with Dunning-Kruger. In every field of endeavor I've entered, I've seen the D-K effect in action. I've also learned that if I'm doing something and don't find anyone being all D-K, I better check to see if I'm the idjit.

Have you seen the many references to Dunning Kellog?

Dunning-Kruger. Not to be confused with dunning Kroger, which is when you demand that a certain regional grocery chain repay what they owe you. Donning Kellog is when you dress in cornflakes.

Dunning-Kruger. Not to be confused with dunning Kroger, which is when you demand that a certain regional grocery chain repay what they owe you. Donning Kellog is when you dress in cornflakes.

I know the second guy's name is but I never remember I don't remember. I'm going to name my next cat Dunning so I can be right calling out "Dunning Kitty" for a change. 

I lost the sticky I had on my comp table, maybe if I use a Sharpie. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh that IS a most useful mnemonic, thank you Slag. I don't get the relation though, is Kruger another word for goo squishing up between toes? Uhh, when I give the image the full treatment the sound of Freddy bones crackling reminds me of Kellogs before the milk makes it soggy. 

More random thoughts please. Yes, more, much MORE random, that's the ticket. 

Frosty The Lucky.

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”;  Socrates

Not all knowledge comes from college. ~me

Randy

Was it Socrates who said, "All I know is that I know nothing," maybe it depends on translation? I know it's not a new concept, the old cavemen were probably thinking the same thing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

In Plato's Apology, Socrates is quoted as saying, "I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know."

In Plato's Apology, Socrates is quoted as saying, "I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know."

What if Socrates was wrong? :o He seems to know he was wiser than "this" man or was he just being a wise guy?

Frosty The Lucky.