Musky50

Clontz tire hammer build

Just started my Clontz hammer build. Got plans and have started building some of the weldments/assemblies. Here is the story behind this build, Dad passed away May 28th at 97 years old. He had a lot of real old metal that is really showing its age. He didnt want to give it up even though he wasnt able to do much the last several years. So after he passed I am the only one in the family that welds/fabs/blacksmiths so I inherited all his things that he cherished so much. So on this build I want to use as much of his old stuff as I can out of respect. I hope some of you guys will jump in and guide me a little on this venture. Firs thing I have of his is one of those little spare tires but it is a 15'' , the plans call for a 14'' but i cant see not being able to use this instead? Can someone steer me in the right direction if i'm wrong? 

Hi there Musky The size of the tyre shouldnt matter much you will just have to change the size of the drive roller if the circumfernce is any differnt. When buliding some thing like this you can usually adapt the plans to what you have  Cheers Beaver

I used a 1993 Chey Cavalier spare and the mass and circumference worked out perfect!

Be sure to put rags in between the tire and rim when welding. I can send you some laser cut cardboard templates if it will help you..

Stitch

4.jpg

IMG_201709.jpg

18.jpg

3.jpg

Now that is purdy! I love it. Is there a spring inside the green buffer at the linkage? If you feel like posting a video of it in operation I would not mind seeing it.

the 5 on 4.5 hub pattern proved hard to locate in my area. I contacted E-trailer from online and they set me up with a hub and axle that was much easier to find. You will be very pleased with thhis build.

3 hours ago, eseemann said:

Now that is purdy! I love it. Is there a spring inside the green buffer at the linkage? If you feel like posting a video of it in operation I would not mind seeing it.

Thank you! I have a short video of it running dry. I may make a video today. Yes, the green tube is just a safety cover

for the spring in case it breaks or comes loose.  I haven't made the front guard plate for it as of yet. I found my spare tire on FleaBay for $25