I Forge Iron

Hay Budden repair or not

Once I bought  a hay budden which had a very similar problem. To repair it, we took a piece of 1-1/4" thick 4140 plate which we had and cut out a "second horn" end for it. It was set to where it gapped out a bit and welded it 100% on both sides. I also welded it underneath to make the lines flow under the heel. The end of the heel was then thinned to approximate the side profile of an original hay budden. I went ahead and hard surfaced the face of the 4140 piece and repaired the edges of the anvil while I was at it. I have lost most of my pictures in a computer crash but I found this one. One thing of interest is that there was a scan of a hay budden brochure which listed the tapered heel as an option back then. Not sure the multiple pritchtel holes were offered but I thought "why not?"

We have forged on the anvil quite a bit including striking on the heel area with a 6-8 pound sledge without breaking it off.

DSCN0241.jpg

This looks like an interesting repair any more pics and info on the progress Cheers Beaver

Well, I lost a lot of the pictures several years ago when my work computer crashed also, I “retired” yesterday! But I still should still have pictures in the black hole of a computer I have at home! I also still have that anvil in my shop so I can still walk out there and take an after photo. 

I've been experimenting with coming up with a way to tig weld medium or high carbon rods back onto faces or heels or what ever that then can be heat treated just like the original anvils with showing very little difference in temper or hardness.. 

I have gone as far as welding a 1/4" plate with beads which are not porous with 0.85 carbon steel..   Problem is I haven't had time to do any further work on it.. The plate is ready for hardening and this will be where it will be a make or break process.. 

I just don't have enough free time to work on these types of projects these days.. 

If it's 410lbs it is plenty big enough to be used and the NEB were selling cast tools for making hardie tools which were chained onto the top of the anvil.