I Forge Iron

Massive PowerHammer in Scrap Yard?

I saw this at my local scrap yard. Maybe it's just a hunk of unusuable junk or a diamond in the rough. I have no idea. But I thought I'd share it with you all. I'd imagine they'd sell it at scrap metal prices. 

21744368_1497142723688810_957067604_n.jpg

Pm me for the location. 

After looking at the surroundings, that clump of juniper, and the timbers under it which look like four by sixes to me, I think it may be smaller yet, perhaps in the neighborhood of 400-600 lbs. tup weight, when compared to the Erie chart above.

Anyone else care to "weigh in" on that?

After looking at the surroundings, that clump of juniper, and the timbers under it which look like four by sixes to me, I think it may be smaller yet, perhaps in the neighborhood of 400-600 lbs. tup weight, when compared to the Erie chart above.

Sounds like a call to the yard is in order, a few minutes with a tape measure would solve the mystery. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:34 PM, Salem Straub said:

Salem I think those are rail ties not 4x6 timbers so maybe a bit bigger, I think you can see a couple spike holes and where the plate sat on the top rear tie. Chris Roberts

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody, wondering if anyone had ballpark weights on this machine (hammer and anvil).  I pm'd the poster and will check in with the scrap yard when I hear from him but thought those who have moved them before might have some insights.  Are they too tall to transport vertical on a standard deck; step deck; low boy?  If I end up with it, it will most likely be signage/nostalgia but IF it is salvageable AND I could find the substantial time and resources to resuscitate it; and idea of cfm if used on air? 

Thanks!

Hundreds of CFM at 100 psi for sure.  A huge amount of air.  You'd need to replace the steam seals with tighter seals o run pneumatic.  I would assume it's never been converted.
As far as weight, I'd start with 15,000 lbs as a minimum guess.  Hard to say more, not knowing the size of the hammer for sure. 

Since i live about 5 miles from the scrapyard, i went over and took some measurements of the ram and height and other stuff.Compared those to the Erie chart here and some were the same and some were a little differnt, but overall this Chambersburg is a 800 lb hammer. !!11 ft tall and the floor base is 64x41 in. IT is sorta rough condition but would make good yard art. I asked if they would sell it and am waiting on a call back tomorrow. I dont want it but figured i would ask cause i deal with the yard on other stuff. dont know about total weight cause it wasnt on the above chart.  Smokey

Talked to the boss at the scrap yard and they put it on the scale,  10280 lbs he wants 1250.oo which comes to about .12 cents a pound  yard is Swift and Mccormick in Terrebonne OR  541 948 2652   ask for Dan.   for anyone who is foaming at the mouth over it.  Smokey