I Forge Iron

Wooden frame power hammer?

I am making a power hammer and am not sure a wooden frame is up to the task. As I do not have access welder or nor the knowledge of how to use one I have made a frame out of wood. I have enclosed a picture of the design and of my frame (I am not done with it). What do you guys think? 

I can jump on the frame and it barely moves. As I have never used one before I don't know about the stresses that the hammering puts on the machine. 

sketch-1505424111532.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Brian

As a disclaimer I have never built a power hammer, but in my 63 years I have built many things with wood, metal and other materials, a lot of them my own designs. I have also read through almost all the posts about treddle hammers and Olivers on this site, which I highly recommend to you. You show 2 pictures, the 2nd is a metal frame hammer which I believe could be built without a single weld. But if wood is your choice here are my thoughts. There are several oliver type hammers with wood frames you could copy. If you want to stay with your own design, boxing in the frame won't be enough. On the metal frame you show there is a diagonal which creates a truss. Your wooden uprights won't be strengthened by boxing the frame. Also your frame appears to be put together with nails or screws. Those won't hold up to the vibration from continuous impacts. I suggest through bolts reinforced with metal brackets and locknuts. Just remember, designing your own has much more risk than using a proven plan

There are some issues with that design.  

Hand forging can take many years to a lifetime to perfect, and a power hammer won't help much if you don't know how to hand forge.  While taking the year(s) of practice needed to learn hand forging I am sure you will meet a friend with a commercially produced power hammer.  Learn from proven designs.  Please don't get hurt or frustrated with your home built.  

On a more positive note, nice wood shop. 

Your wooden uprights won't be strengthened by boxing the frame. Also your frame appears to be put together with nails or screws. Those won't hold up to the vibration from continuous impacts. I suggest through bolts reinforced with metal brackets and locknuts. Just remember, designing your own has much more risk than using a proven plan

You are probably right about using through bolts I will look into that (I used screws). 

I plan on being safe. I have a foot pedal that I will be using to make sure it doesn't stay on longer than it should. 

On a more positive note, nice wood shop. 

I will still be hand forging a lot, I just have large chunks of metal I need to move around and my back isn't liking the hammering I am doing. 

Thanks about the wood shop, but the tools you see aren't mine. Mine are elsewhere in the shop. 

Turn that chunk o' steel up on end. That will give your anvil a LOT more rebound.

I may do that, I hadn't thought of that. I will probably cut a rectangular piece out of the stump and fit it in that way. 

Thank you

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, Jonnytait said:

I kind of like this hammer, have you tried forging with it yet?

Yes I have, It works very well. I may test adding more weight or another spring to make the impact stronger.

I used the general design from this guys power hammer