I Forge Iron

Need help with an outdoor ASO stand

Good Morning All, 

I hope everyone in the path of the storms is well. I am going to be making a stand to hold a chunk of fork lift tine upright for my nephew who does not have a covered place to work and would be exposed to rain. I was thinking about using treated 4x4 lumber but I did not want to place treated lumber so it would be touching the tine 100% of the time. I was thinking about wrapping the steel layers of duck tape so any chemicals that would be leached out of the lumber would not have an direct path to the steel. I figure that if many layers of tape or the like were protected from the sun by the lumber it would take a long time to rot. I was also thinking about using flashing (aluminum or stainless steel) to wrap the tine if that would work better. I know that nothing short of a covered work space and non-PT lumber will keep the treating chemicals off of the tine steel but I am just trying to work with what I have right now.  

Thanks in advance.  

Ernest

First of all, that's not an ASO (Anvil-Shaped Object); it's an anvil. I know a certain YouTube presenter has been using "ASO" to refer to what IFI members usually call an "improvised anvil", but on this forum, "ASO" refers to something that looks like an anvil, but doesn't perform as one.

That said, I assume that you're concerned about the increased risk of corrosion from the PT lumber, which is indeed a genuine issue. I like the idea of a layer of aluminum flashing to isolate the steel from the lumber; another option would be to simply make a wood or metal stand and cover it with a tarp when not in use.

As I was there at the coining of the term ASO, I can state that "improvised" anvils are not Anvil Shaped Objects as they are not london pattern shapes that are made from cast iron and so can't be used as anvils.  

How much corrosion are we talking about? enough that it will be a problem for your great great great grandkids?

All , 

I stand corrected and will cope to the miss-use of shorthand. I can tell you that the stuff they are using in PT lumber is more than corrosive it is a force of nature. I don't know how much it might corrode but I remember building a tree house shortly after the arsenic and chromium was phased out of PT lumber and I had a zinc (not hot dipped galvanized since it was what I had on hand) lag screw screwed in to a PT 4x4. I took it out about 3 weeks later and there were rust marks on the zinc plated non-threaded shaft where the part of the wood tapped by the screw was just touching the non-threaded shaft. This was not from rain leaching the chemical out this (And this is a wild guess on my part) might have been from the moisture in the wood.

If Mr. Powers (who knows more about this things than I do) does not see this as a big I will not worry about it. I do plan on getting him something to cover the steel when he is not using it. After I posted this I thought about just using a few coats of good outdoor spray paint to block the PT chemicals.

Any who, I think I have the info I need. 

Thanks 

If you use paint, use liquid paint in a quart can, as it will be a much thicker coating than paint from a rattle can. You could maybe use some black mastic or the cinder block coating they use on the below ground level areas of houses.  If you clean up the tine and then paint it with a good quality paint, it should resist being exposed to the elements of nature for a good ling while. That way a 5 gallon bucket could do as a protective cover.

If you are really concerned, get two fork lift tines and save one for later. LOL

You do need to ask yourself, if you are worried about the pressure treated lumber degrading a fork life tine, what will happen as the treatment chemicals leach out and wash off into your yard?