I Forge Iron

Anvil identification help?

Wire cup brush in a disk grinder, NO grinding!! Hot steel and a hammer will put a shine on her face in short time. If you wish to prevent rust in future wipe the body down with boiled linseed oil, ATF, spray LPS 3 is excellent preservative with rust inhibitors in the mix but it's a little spendy. My personal preference is rubbing it down with paste Carnuba wax, my can of Trewax or the other high end bowling alley armor, "Bowling Alley Wax", both are top shelf wax. Applied to a WARM, think cup of coffee warm, it goes on thin and penetrates deeply, then wipe it off and it's pretty bullet proof for a couple years. 

Please don't do any grinding on that old beauty, she's in excellent condition except for the chip and the best way to deal with that is just don't do any forging over it. There is MORE than enough beautifully pristine face to do anything you'll even want on.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm out of town until Sunday. How should I clean up the face and rest of the anvil?

Just use it. That's all it needs to clean the face. For the rest, wire brush and a coat of finish (linseed oil, automatic transmission fluid, or paste wax). 

The inset on the foot with the name in it reminds me of a certain make.  Can you clean that up a bit to see if I'm right?

I was out of town until Sunday evening, and it's been a zoo since then.  I haven't had a chance to get out back to clean it up any.  Would you mind sharing what your guess is, however?

not the normal looking Fisher I guess....

I had others say it looks like a Fisher, too.  I'm cleaning it up more and a wire brush and I'm starting to notice a number on the right front foot. Can't make it out yet, but it's maybe an '8'. 

Still hoping to see something in the stamped area on the front base.