I Forge Iron

Hydraulic press

Kev walker

Sounds pretty scientific there Beaver lol basicically i'll be tig ing the first pass then i'll be puttin a couple of passes of stick over it and just weld er out. Im not worried about speed i want good fusion for the first pass.I'll make up for speed with the stick its just basic welding theres no special procedure for welding that frame.If i had a deeper penetrating mig i'd use that after i tigged it but all i got is a 220v/170 amp mig i wouldnt trust it for the press and hydraulics it just doesn't have the ability for penetration and fusion required.We always preheat in Canada its cold up here i don't need any micro cracks forming in the weld because of moisture that could lead to a catastrophic failure.Low hydrogen rods dont like moisture now if i run 6011 for a first pass i might get away without a preheat as long as air temp is above freezing.Personally i prefer heating it up to 250/300 degrees to me it makes for a better weld, up here most  high pressure pipe precedures require it depending on air temp for example.So when it gets cold, out come the tiger torches for small bore and chicklets for the big stuff. Alot of the certified plate shops up here sweat it out to 250 degree before its welded .Anyway thats how i do it and so far so good passed alot of xrays and made some good cash over the years.

Oh and Kev she looks good buddy what steel did you make the pins from.

22D99CFC-A259-40B9-A8AA-99B862DB596B.thumb.jpeg.caee20c1ddd64835741975c15e662fa5.jpeg774346C4-3CE3-4FF1-A4A4-7EBB543C8BF3.thumb.jpeg.111049aa83c084179904145559369a13.jpeg

This thing is going on wheels just over 6 foot and 28” wide it’ll just go through my door  . I don’t know if this motor pump setup will be ok 

got it off eBay the other day 3.7 kw 5hp 8gpm Hilo pump £200  should be able to give it a try by the end of the week with a bit of luck thanks for your comments 

On 05/11/2017 at 12:17 AM, bubba682 said:

Sounds pretty scientific there Beaver lol basicically i'll be tig ing the first pass then i'll be puttin a couple of passes of stick over it and just weld er out. Im not worried about speed i want good fusion for the first pass.I'll make up for speed with the stick its just basic welding theres no special procedure for welding that frame.If i had a deeper penetrating mig i'd use that after i tigged it but all i got is a 220v/170 amp mig i wouldnt trust it for the press and hydraulics it just doesn't have the ability for penetration and fusion required.We always preheat in Canada its cold up here i don't need any micro cracks forming in the weld because of moisture that could lead to a catastrophic failure.Low hydrogen rods dont like moisture now if i run 6011 for a first pass i might get away without a preheat as long as air temp is above freezing.Personally i prefer heating it up to 250/300 degrees to me it makes for a better weld, up here most  high pressure pipe precedures require it depending on air temp for example.So when it gets cold, out come the tiger torches for small bore and chicklets for the big stuff. Alot of the certified plate shops up here sweat it out to 250 degree before its welded .Anyway thats how i do it and so far so good passed alot of xrays and made some good cash over the years.

The bottom pin is 41 mm h13  and the top pin is 65mm I think 24t  I don’t know what the equivalent will be in Canada but the guy at the steel place so that would be plenty strong enough we Shall see I think I will take them out after I have had a go with it just to make sure they’re okay  

Shes comin along nicely i'm going to have to source the pins i got a 3'' ram from an excavater cyl i i was thinking of getting turned for pins but im not sure on the strengh. The only to i really got left to get is the pins and get the plate punched for the pins.Theres a hydrolic shop i deal with im sure they;ll have them, i hope.

On 05/11/2017 at 12:17 AM, bubba682 said:

The bottom pin is 41 mm h13  and the top pin is 65mm I think 24t  I don’t know what the equivalent will be in Canada but the guy at the steel place so that would be plenty strong enough we Shall see I think I will take them out after I have had a go with it just to make sure they’re okay  

32D40D31-17ED-441F-87E1-1F29D67419D4.jpeg

923FE7E8-BA54-4CE8-9F31-D2BBD68B5F80.jpeg

6C8D8075-124D-4579-906D-FD0504932F13.jpeg

1 hour ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Devide the PSi (pounds per square inch) buy the piston size in square inch (PI R squared) and devide buy 2000 to get tons of force for youer 

piston size. 

That's multiply psi x piston area sq/in, not divide. It's easy to get something backwards writing out equations in text. I HATED word problems in math.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for your replies I think i must be dumb I can’t work it out the. I keep getting the wrong answer  internal diameter of the cylinder is 5 inches it as an 8 inch stroke and the rod is 2 3/8  60 mm and 3000 psi It would be very much appreciated if somebody could work this out for me as it is giving me an headache thanks 

4 hours ago, Latticino said:

Cylinder crossection area= pi * D * D/4 = 3.14 x 5 x 5 / 4 = 19.64 square inches

Force exerted = pressure x crossection area = 3000 x 19.64 = 58,905 lbs.

Unit conversion: 58,905 lbs / 2000 lbs/ton = 29.4 tons

Many thanks i didn’t think It would be that much but thanks  I’ll get my forge going in the week and see if I can make myself a Hammer,  cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi Kev walker press looks im-press-ive.

If you don't mind me asking what was the job cost all in, and how many days to make? A hydraulic press is one of the many things on my wishlist. Did you put the video on YouTube too or just IG? I'm not on IG so can't find you/your vid on there.

Hi Joel  The  whole fing cost me £1300 but it’s all new gear  I could of done it cheaper with used gear but I sold some workshop tool that I didn’t use. you can make hammers easy and that’s what I built it for  I will be posting some videos on YouTube of me making an Hammer with it  in the new year (Bishop Norton 1959 )so if you subscribe when I post it You will see it straight away and maybe I should’ve done a bit of a video of it being built and my Tyre hammer  cheers Kev