I Forge Iron

Hi from West Yorkshire uk

Bigbull82

Hi all am new to the forum I have had a quick look round as am wanting to start in blade smithing my wife is supporting me as it's something I have wanted to do for years and we have an out house where I can work.

I hope to pick your brains about different things I hope to see you all around the forum

Welcome '82, You've come to the right forum, take your time to read masses of information already posted, both general blscksmithing as well as the blade specific areas or you may find yourself struggling with the basics. Do take note of the Curmudgeons, they can be risky to hand feed but they mean well......:D

Welcome aboard BigBull, glad to have you. As mentioned please put your general location in the header knowing your neighbors is helpful, honest.

Do you have basic blacksmithing down to a decent level of proficiency? If not you're jumping the gun a bit, learning both means climbing two learning curves at the same time and they're similar enough to interfere. My usual recommendation is to learn blacksmithing and build your kit WHILE making stock removal knives and building that kit. You need to be proficient in both skill sets to be a decent bladesmith anyway and the two learning curves don't interfere with each other.

Once you have good blacksmithing skills, hammer control and fire management being the two most critical, learning to forge blade steel is just a matter of learning the characteristics of a different kind of steel and they ARE different to forge.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good suggestion to be learning the hilting  and sheath making skills separately.  They will be the same for stock removal and forged blades.  Grinding stock removal blades will also give you an appreciation of hand forging to shape! (old saying 15 minutes at the forge can save an hour at the grinder...)

Out buildings are good!  (Of course here in America the term "outhouse" usually applies to a specific type used where there is no indoor plumbing...)

Well, OKAY Big Bull, we'll let you slide THIS time but we'll dock your munificent wages if it becomes a habit. :rolleyes: You're not on a time clock, we all talk when we have time.

Welcome aboard Whoflungdoo, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in your profile you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance.

Minor correction, an ASO (Anvil Shape Object) only looks like a London pattern anvil but is too low quality to be much use. A heavy block of steel you use to hammer hot iron on IS an ANVIL.

You have a fine anvil on your hands, honest. Stand it on end and it'll have a magnificent depth of rebound, it'll be a most effective anvil. Probably a little tall but you can make a stand for yourself to adjust the height if it's too tall. Pictures please.

We LOVE pics! :)

Frosty The Lucky.