I Forge Iron

Working tables

Hoyt76

I'm currently trying to set up a shop and I'm just doing this as a hobby for now.  I'm looking for a table for my three burner gas forge and I'm finding a lot of stainless tables available for little money.  Will a stainless table work to put the forge on, or is it too hot?  Thanks for any input.

the forge I have is a majestic three burner.

Welcome aboard Hoyt, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance. 

The table will work fine if you put your forge on a bit of a stand off. I like concrete backer board, it's thin, insulates well for being less than 1/2" thick ad has decent bridging strength. You can cut it with a carbide blade in a skill saw to fit the top of the table or just under the forge with enough out front for a bit more heat shield. Cut a couple strips off the rems to lay under the main shield to make a dead air space and your table won't even get warm let alone warp. 

My forge rides on an old steel wheeled cart I got at a yard sale, they MADE me take it if I wanted the couple things on it I did want so I made them give me everything on the cart and another box of stuff. It's a great little cart and I just raise my forge on a couple bricks, no warps.

Frosty The Lucky.