I Forge Iron

I will begin building my proper forge this weekend.

Binesman

All of my parts have arrived.  Thank you wayne for your awesome pricing and quick service in getting the parts out.  Ill begin my build this weekend but i do have a few questions for you all.  My questions are in regards to the insuwool.  Ill be using 2 1" sections.  After installing and rigidizing the first do i need to wait for it to dry or can i install the 2nd while the silca is still wet?

next question is in regard to the second lining of blanket.  My original intention was to wrap the entire forge with the second lining "except" for the floor where i will be using firebrick that will only be a 1" of wool.  However reading the forge build instruction from wayne he says he uses 2" on the floor and only 1" on the roof.  Do i have the idea backward should it be a heavier insulated floor?

Use two layers of 1" 8lb. insulwool all the way around and LOSE THE BRICK! You bought Kast-O-Lite-30 didn't you? cut a piece of the insulwool the width you want your floor. I'd say 4" by the length of the forge. Lay it in the bottom of your forge and thin the edges (Feather) to match the curve so it lays reasonably flat. Rigidize and when you plaster the interior with 1/2" of Kast-O-Lite you'll have a nice flat floor with 3" of insulation where you need it most and it'll be many times more durable than a . . . brick.

Frosty The Lucky.

You're welcome, it's my pleasure.

That was the question wasn't it? I'd let it dry, it's easier to form the wool against something reasonably stiff. It's not really  necessary but it is easier. Heck take a Bernzomatic torch to the rigidized liner and cure it makes it more stiff.

Butter it with your rigidizer solution will help the two stick and make the whole liner more robust.

Just in case I wasn't clear.  Feather the bottom side of the floor layer of insulwool to match the liner. I know that's obvious, you didn't even need to figure it out but pointing out the obvious can't hurt and might help. I miss the obvious all the time.

Frosty The Lucky.

First picture is the first forge i built following youtube.  It works but its a mess.  Second and third image are of the forge im still building following the advice from you all (thank you all again).  The burn was just a test burn and to help dry out the insulwool.  Tomorrow i will castolite it.  Wednesday ill plistex it and a week from today ill try not to accidentally melt steel.

20170818_203313.jpg

20170909_200333_HDR.jpg

20170909_195700.jpg