I Forge Iron

Need help identifying my anvil

I purchased this anvil today and I cannot find what the make of this anvil is. I am happy to have gotten it as I have been looking for one for several months. By my estimate I think it is around 200lbs with the chain and block. There are some letters that I can make out but none of it seems to correlate with any brands I have researched. 

Any help identifying this would be appreciated. 

DSC_1141.JPG

DSC_1140.JPG

DSC_1139.JPG

8 minutes ago, Brian Evans said:

Thanks for identifying it. I got it for 50$ from someone who wanted it gone. I will have to find that number :)

Welcome to the forum. If you put your location in your profile you may be surprised how many of the gang are close to you and a lot of answers are location dependent.

Now on the deal you got. Did you have to wear a mask when you picked it up?:D

If I were you I would run right out and but a lottery ticket, getting that anvil for $50 is akin to winning the lottery. I'm green with envy too.

Look on the front of the feet under the horn for numbers.

It will be weight marked in pounds

and DO NOT GRIND, MILL, OR WELD ON IT'S FACE!  If you want it smoother and shinier all you need to do is to USE IT!  Hammering hot steel on it will shine it right up!

(You got a really really great deal on it!)

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Do you at least feel a LITTLE guilty? Not for scoring such a deal but for making all of us envy you so much?

Frosty The Lucky.

I do feel a little guilty but considering I was using a smooth rock beforehand I don't feel too guilty ;)

6 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Welcome to the forum. If you put your location in your profile you may be surprised how many of the gang are close to you and a lot of answers are location dependent.

Now on the deal you got. Did you have to wear a mask when you picked it up?:D

If I were you I would run right out and but a lottery ticket, getting that anvil for $50 is akin to winning the lottery. I'm green with envy too.

:) No mask but I definitely know that this was one of those once in a lifetime deals. I read that Hays Budden are the "cadalac of anvils" I am curious as to why they are considered that. 

By the way, concrete is generally not considered a good material for an anvil base, as it tends to crumble, crack, and chip over time. If it's at a good height for you now, go ahead and use it, but be prepared to have to replace it fairly soon.

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

By the way, concrete is generally not considered a good material for an anvil base, as it tends to crumble, crack, and chip over time. If it's at a good height for you now, go ahead and use it, but be prepared to have to replace it fairly soon.

It does seem to look like concrete but it is a painted piece of wood. Thanks for the tip though. 

I am not actually sure what height I should have. Is there a way to tell?

1 minute ago, Brian Evans said:

I am not actually sure what height I should have. Is there a way to tell?

Stand comfortably in your work boots. Make a fist. The top of the anvil should be between the knuckles of your fist and the line of your wrist. The lower height is better if you're going to have someone swinging a sledgehammer on a regular basis, and the higher is better for solo hand forging.

3 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Stand comfortably in your work boots. Make a fist. The top of the anvil should be between the knuckles of your fist and the line of your wrist. The lower height is better if you're going to have someone swinging a sledgehammer on a regular basis, and the higher is better for solo hand forging.

I'm mostly alone in my workshop so no sledgehammers. How high should it be, I am 6'2 and want to minimize back problems from this.  

light or heavy hammer?

light or heavy work?

get some thin ply or hardboard and put it on the anvil, stand comfortably and using your favorite hammer hit it,

if you get an arc with the open side away from you it is too high

open side towards you it is too low

a circle and it is right for that stance with that hammer and your present ability but things can change.

the first thing you do on a course at my place is to show us how badly you stand and hold a hammer

29 minutes ago, the iron dwarf said:

light or heavy hammer?

light or heavy work?

get some thin ply or hardboard and put it on the anvil, stand comfortably and using your favorite hammer hit it,

if you get an arc with the open side away from you it is too high

open side towards you it is too low

a circle and it is right for that stance with that hammer and your present ability but things can change.

the first thing you do on a course at my place is to show us how badly you stand and hold a hammer

I shall do that, thank you. 

I spent a fair few hours on my anvil today and after an hour my back was killing me. (I do suffer with a bad back from years of building & labouring work) Ended up putting my weightlifting belt on. Back was fine from then on! Next time I shall be putting the belt on straight away.