I Forge Iron

My Seax attempt

Tzelik Hammar

Huh. ok. well, that explains why I cant find it. Damp dirt in the desert is hard to come by ;)

I was trying to take a piece of flat stock and coil it so it kind of held itself inside the tuyere with spring tension. Probably overthinking things again. I only have access to a welder at work, so ill try to pull something together this afternoon. I probably could have just made a bar grate 5-6 times over while jacking with the silly spring idea...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wet some sand and mix it with nice powdery desert dirt and let it sit in a sealed container for a while so the moisture evens out. NOT WET, you don't want even stiff mud, just damp enough to pack hard. If you had experience green sand casting I could tell you to "temper the soil to ram" and you'd know exactly what I meant. Don't sweat it, this isn't a perfection thing.

A coil to fit INSIDE the tuyere? :lol:  :lol: :lol: :lol: !! 

Try this, once you've rammed up the liner cut some oh 1/2" rd. or whatever's handy a couple inches longer than the tuyere is wide, make sure they overlap the clay, heck they could hang off the pan and be tong hangers if you wanted. Space them 3/8" - 1/2" apart and ram them into the clay. Perfectly serviceable bar grate. Hmmm? 

Frosty The Lucky.

First, this is not a historical blade,  i just like the Seax shape. It's full Tang and the copper is wildly inaccurate. I like it though, turned out as intended (rough look included). The only change from the original was removing the large pin in the handle to keep the balance right. Still unable to upload pictures, hopefully I can do it tomorrow.

First, this is not a historical blade,  i just like the Seax shape. It's full Tang and the copper is wildly inaccurate. I like it though, turned out as intended (rough look included). The only change from the original was removing the large pin in the handle to keep the balance right. Still unable to upload pictures, hopefully I can do it tomorrow.

sax2.thumb.jpg.9fd60dd97f9bfdc1b093486f43b2758b.jpgsax1.thumb.jpg.165907a16af584cc68b4592113e89506.jpg

The scales taper forward to cover the end of the copper, I nipped it too short. Shame the cedar grain doesn't show up in the pictures, it's actually really pretty.

As for hacking... It's great :D

Balance is about two fingers in front of the handle and it moves nicely for chopping on things. I'm debating giving it away or testing it to failure, as it's my first forged blade and I kinda want to see if I've made something reliable.