I Forge Iron

Forge Chimney

SandHuf

Ok so I built a shop recently for blacksmithing. I needed to make a chimney set up so I took an old water pressure tank and used it as the hood. I have 6" chimney single wall going above the roof. The hood opening is 13" tall and about 14" wide. The hood is also resting on the forge. Anyway when I tried using it smoke did go up the chimney but some would puff out towards the top of the hood. The smoke buildup is not good and hard on my lungs. So my question is what am I doing wrong here? I did a little reading on threads and other websites about the chimney needing to be at least 10" or the hood needs to be lower. I can't make the hood lower without cutting more of the tank off because it is resting on the forge. Or should I scrap the hood and buy a professionally made one with 10" chimney?

IMG_1518.JPG

IMG_1517.JPG

IMG_1519.JPG

Typicaly we recomend a 10-12" stack. 

I would suggest rotating the forge a 1/3 turn to the left. That way when you put long stock in the forge you don't have to walk around the blower to get it out. Simple, insert stock, crank blower, remice stock, step to anvil and bash, repeat as necessary. Your arrangement is fine if you only do shoes and rivits.