I Forge Iron

Big chunk of steel

So I picked up this large bit of EN8 bar today, and I was looking for ideas. I already have an anvil but thought I could either use in as a smaller anvil or maybe have some grooves machined into it sort of like a swage block idea, what do you guys think? Also, I was wondering about hardening it possibly, it is pretty large so im not totally sure about how to go about that, any adice would be great.

Photos to come

IMG_20170904_164440.jpg

IMG_20170904_164237.jpg

IMG_20170904_164125.jpg

Too heavy for a hammer unless you've been trained in the dwarven caverns of Middle Earth. Anvil. 

Naw, trying to machine it into a swage block would cost more than just buying a new one which will be much  more useful than a "sort of swage block."

I'd just radius the edges to different radii. You have two ends so be creative.  If you make the stand so it's stable on it's side you'll have full benefit of it's shape and size.

Frosty The Lucky.

You could raidius the edge to varying degrees for different tasks and weld a piece of square stock to the end so it could fit the hardy hole. Then weld another one to the side to use it for drawing out. You could even leave a couple inches of the second piece square, then taper the rest, giving you a small bick  when the block is vertical. If that made any sense...

Thanks for the ideas guys, they have given me something to think about

15 hours ago, Frosty said:

Too heavy for a hammer unless you've been trained in the dwarven caverns of Middle Earth. Anvil. 

Naw, trying to machine it into a swage block would cost more than just buying a new one which will be much  more useful than a "sort of swage block."

I'd just radius the edges to different radii. You have two ends so be creative.  If you make the stand so it's stable on it's side you'll have full benefit of it's shape and size.

Frosty The Lucky.

You are right it is heavy :lol: weighing in at  37 Kg or 81 lbs

Well yeah it's heavy, I came to that evaluation by eyeballing in the pic. I just did a rough guesstimate based o the tape in the pics as 7" dia. x almost 8" and came up with about 86 lbs. 81 sounds right enough to me.

That's a nice weight for a portable or bench anvil. Save the swages for bottom tools and a portable hole. Make swages when you need them, no need for a block, especially a machined one. If you don't have your own machine shop you can buy one cheaper than having one machined. 

Heck use that block in a treadle hammer and you can make swages as you need them and that'd be a heavy  hitting treadle. All you need is 700-800 anvil for the treadle and you're golden.

Heavy steel is good stuff, handy on so many counts. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

On 05/09/2017 at 6:39 PM, Frosty said:

Well yeah it's heavy, I came to that evaluation by eyeballing in the pic. I just did a rough guesstimate based o the tape in the pics as 7" dia. x almost 8" and came up with about 86 lbs. 81 sounds right enough to me.

That's a nice weight for a portable or bench anvil. Save the swages for bottom tools and a portable hole. Make swages when you need them, no need for a block, especially a machined one. If you don't have your own machine shop you can buy one cheaper than having one machined. 

Heck use that block in a treadle hammer and you can make swages as you need them and that'd be a heavy  hitting treadle. All you need is 700-800 anvil for the treadle and you're golden.

Heavy steel is good stuff, handy on so many counts. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I like the treadle hammer idea. Although I think I am going to radius the edges and use it pretty much as is, make up a decent base for it. I had a play around with it tonight and it is quieter then the soderfors which has a ring that I am struggling to deaden. Thought maybe I could use this for smaller work, might do a better job of keeping the neighbours happy. Seems to have not too bad rebound too so thats nice. Nothing compared to that swedish anvils 150% though :lol: