I Forge Iron

A collection of improvised anvils

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all. I got really lucky finding it. Someone with a local machine shop bought it at auction from the navy because come on, big honking chunk of steel, but I guess the jobs he had planned fell through so it was hanging out taking up space. He paid $75 and I paid $150. Figured he was giving me a good deal so I wasn’t gonna fuss too much. I have another piece that I use because as Glenn NM mentioned it’s a little tall. I’m a dumb dumb though; my immediate thought was to find a place to cut it down rather than build a simple platform. Couple 2x4s and a piece of plywood are way easier to move than that thing.

• 1 month later...

This is my improvised anvil that I just recently started forging with.  Built a  steel stand with hammer and tong holders built into it.  It is a large roll for a turning machine from a job I had previously had that they were tossing because it had a crack in it at the corner of the keyway slot.  It is hardened 4140.

20210125_232459.jpg

20210125_232451.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/27/2018 at 10:35 PM, FlatLiner said:

Just picked this RR car knuckle up in a gas station parking lot on a work trip for free fifty free. I saw it and asked about it they said if you want it take it.

If you spray some foam in the holes it will quiet it down a bit (spray foam in a can )

• 2 weeks later...

New knife maker here. I’ve gotten comfortable with stock removal and have been dying to get going on some San Mai. Went and bought a cheap welder for the billet stacks and found this almost perfectly flat piece of steel, 2” thick. Maybe a little more. Stacked some 4x4s for a stand.. but then when I was walking my dog, I found tons of tree stumps on this trail I take. Wonder if that would make the banging a little quieter for the neighbors.. thoughts? 

78AE227D-BA5F-4AF6-A34F-58337EF0B9B5.jpeg

The stumps will probably work better for you. With wood you want the anvil sitting on the end grain. Dido on what Thomas said, and mount it firmly to reduce the ring. A bead of caulk underneath with help also.

David

You lose some energy in the system with every interface between the anvil and the ground, so a stump has two: Anvil/stump, stump/ground. Stacking the wood that way gives you 9 as I count.  Building it of dimensional lumber with the grain running vertically would have given you 2.  I know there are many examples on the net of doing it that way---usually posted by people with little or no blacksmithing experience---a classic example of the blind leading the blind.

Now with a stump you can actually modify it to hold that anvil flat or up on edge by cutting a slot in the stump's face.

I’d also recommend rounding the edges over a little. Sharp edges on the anvil will put cold shunt in your forgings. You could put different radii on different edges or just small on all with one edge that tapers from small to large... Lots of options, but sharp is “generally” bad. (Unless, you actually want to cut with it.)

Welcome aboard,

David

Sorry about using the quote feature. I just read the Read This First sent by a Mod. I should’ve read that first lol. 

Thanks for the tip about rounding the edges. I’ll bust out the angle grinder and take care of that tonight. I wish work wasn’t a thing so I could go stump hunting tomorrow. I also have to figure out how to get them from the trail back to my car (it’s a long trail). 

Will post updates