I Forge Iron
Charles R. Stevens

A collection of improvised anvils

I have a friend who is an ER Doctor and she swears by one of those hot paraffin wax tanks for the hands.  I'm looking for one as soon as lockdown is over and fleamarkets are back!

Good for removing gunpowder residue, too.

Ahh, John;  your previous job didn't involve immanentizing bequests did it?

We do talk about "accelerating bequests" in my line of work, but that's about donors giving a portion of their ultimate gift during their lifetime (and thus seeing its philanthropic impact while they're still around to appreciate it and be appreciated themselves) rather than being hastened towards their respective ends.

Just figured since I just joined I'd add to the menagerie of Impro Anvils. I was lucky my girlfriend's grandad had acquired a Railtrack Anvil on his farm, not sure what it was used for but it's definitely usable. Only had one day to play around with it, had to resurface it a bit as it had pitted and rusted quite a bit from not being used and being in the elements for so long. I modified it a little bit but after perusing the forums I read hard 90 edges aren't the best so that portion I'll try to modify and soften those just a touch. Added a round shoulder to half the length of it though, felt pretty proud for not having too much experience with angle grinders.

Before:

40372295_Anvil1.jpg.1a064cd77a2ac24d0f245950fc3aedb4.jpg

After:

1713416253_Anvil2.jpg.f7cbee134eae80d0b26924e39748cab5.jpg

Modified Edge about halfway:

246739609_Anvil3.jpg.b39040c9c12d6e043c1175dc5b79fd5f.jpg

It was inherited so if there's any additional mods or anything that's relatively easy let me know, I was formulating a plan in my head to somehow dull the ring, found some vise-grip clamps helped as a temporary solution. Thinking a chain wrapped around the neck of the track and turnbuckled may do the trick.

Well as it’s inherited suggesting cutting it off the stand and reoriantating it might not be well received. More solid mass under the anvil is good. As it is now it’s good for sheet stock but not great as an anvil. 

Mounting it so that it’s vertical instead of horizontal is best, the smaller striking face is not a problem, and then the web and flange can be modified to provide tooling

If its inherited nature prevents you from making any substantial modifications, then burying the stand in a box of sand (say to halfway up the web) would help with the ringing.