I Forge Iron

A collection of improvised anvils

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I’ve been given a piston pin that I may use as an extra anvil, it’s 20 inches tall 8 inches in diameter and hardened steel , it rings great with good rebound. I haven’t decided how to mount it yet. What’s your thoughts on this?

8741AD65-9A72-4CA9-92EB-AC5C98F5CE26.jpeg

If that hole is in, or near, the middle (assuming it goes striaght through or has a corresponding hole on the far side) I'd be tempted to mount it on an axle pin and turn it into a rotatable swage block with the hole near the edge serving for a locking pin location. You can fashion sections into different shapes as you find a need for them. There is a fine example of such posted somewhere on these threads.

• 2 weeks later...

So I posted the other day in "Show me your anvil", and got some pretty helpful feedback.

Just so happens I have stumbled upon another improvised anvil.  Its been laying around at work for years apparently.  It is extremely heavy, I believe the base is made from a chunk of telephone pole.  But I am curious what everyone thinks about it, I am new to this, so before i try to take this thing home (it will be difficult, I cant even lift it an inch off the ground) id like your feedback again on this.

IMG_2017-12-13_23-46-29.jpeg

IMG_2017-12-13_23-46-22.jpeg

IMG_2017-12-13_23-45-55.jpeg

IMG_2017-12-13_23-45-46.jpeg

Again most of that has no steel between the face and the bottom.  I beams make poor anvils. Look at a solid cube of steel. Look at an I-beam do you see the difference?  Anvils made from I beams tend to be made by people who really don't have a clue about anvils and so think their ideas are great!  Would you go to a mechanic that doesn't know how an engine works?

However that would be a useful thing in the shop as a hardy holder to go along with a solid chunk of steel anvil.  As mentioned it will be loud! It will also be better than the previous version in that the face is thicker and the web is thicker.  Get it if you can and use it and make things to fund the purchase of a better one.!

11 hours ago, ZachNiedjalski said:

Just so happens I have stumbled upon another improvised anvil.

It matters not whether that steel is utilized as an Anvil, or becomes something else - it is free beautiful steel.

You do not wish to awaken in the future nights with new uses for that raw material, only to howl in anguish that you deigned to let it go.

The worst that could happen (Safety First!) Is some day you might give it to someone with a special project on hand.

Notwithstanding any space limitations imposed by your "Inventory" constraints; no less, the aesthetic sensibilities of a significant other:

"Git that junk out of my living room!!"

Robert Taylor